Author Topic: CLEOBURY / OSWELL of Broseley / Astley Abbott  (Read 15057 times)

Offline gailml

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLEOBURY / OSWELL of Broseley / Astley Abbott
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 May 05 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Your Joseph Oswell (m. to E. Strephan) is quite likely a relative too.  The Joseph I have recorded was married to Sarah Inkin July 31, 1825.  This Joseph's youngest is Benjamin Oswell (our Great grandfather) who married Harriet Susan Gardner and had at least 10 children: James Nivett 1865, Harriet Susan 1868, Clarissa 1869, Albert Edward 1871, Emanuel 1872 (our grandfather), Florence Lily 1875, George A. 1877, Alice Mary 1878, Benjamin Joseph 1881 and William Nivett 1884.  The first 4 births were recorded in a different church from the last 6 which were in St. John's church in Gloucester.  My Grandfather Emanuel married Annie Bullock and had 4 children: Thomas Edward, Mabel Florence, Gertrude May and James Neviett (our dad).  We have no idea what happened to my Granfather's sibs and haven't a clue where to look.  Any ideas?  Let me know if you wish to know about "us mice".  Gail

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 May 05 21:26 BST (UK) »
Well, I might as well know about 'you mice', since I've now updated the tree almost down to the present day with all the Oswell information you've provided!  I'd be very happy to send you the complete Cleobury tree as I have it, so you can see where it headed off to when Mary Oswell married Thomas Cleobury in 1842, but I know from past experience that I can't send the programme I am currently using (GenoPro), unless you happen to have that programme.  My e-mail address is esh12 @ cam.ac.uk .  I could also send you the marriage certificate of Mary Oswell, if you're interested.  By the way, they got married in Astley Abbotts, Shropshire, although both were from Broseley.  I don't suppose you have any idea what they were doing there....?  Best wishes, Emma
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline gailml

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 May 05 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,
Will send "mice" info on email (thanks for the address). It would be very interesting to see the Cleobury tree and the marriage certificate if you think you can somehow manage that.  I haven't heard of GenoPro but will look it up on the Internet to see whether I can access it.  As to the marriage in Astley Abbotts as opposed to Broseley that remains a mystery to me as well.  Wonder if anyone else has any ideas to post?
Gail

Offline timmyfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  Yes, I'd be very interested in further Oswell history.   And yes, I shall certainly get in touch again after my Shropshire Archives trip early next month.  By the way, I had made a mistake.   I had Joseph Oswell married to an Elizabeth Strephan in Broseley on 19 February 1822, according to IGI, and I realise now that you say he was married to a Sarah Inkin.  IGI gives this couple four children:  Ann Fryzer (1822), Emma (1824), George Richard (1825), Elizabeth (1827) & Hannah (1829).  Perhaps this is the Joseph Oswell who is recorded in the NBI as having been buried on 4 May 1831 aged 36.  I wonder how he ties in with the rest of the Oswells.  All best, Emma
Hello! Did either Emma or Gail (or anyone else reading this thread two years ago!) get any further with Joseph OSWELL married to Elizabeth STREPHAN? I'm particulary interested in their dgr Ann Fryzer (1822) as part of my own FRYZER surname study; I have been looking for Joyce FRYZER nee COAKLEY who lived in Tewkesbury GLS c. 1796-1843; the 1841 census has her born out of County (so not GLS). IGI gives a possible christening in St.Leonard, Broseley 26 DEC 1763 and the age is about right, but no other clue until  I came accross this post. FRYZERs are few and far between, so if it is an accurate transcription of the register it may help me to ID Joyce's earlier life.
Have you come across COOKLEY/COAKLEY/COKELEY (or varient) or possibly OWEN in the course of your OSWELL research?
Tim.

Offline gailml

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry Tim, have not done any further research on the Oswell's since cataract surgery so can't be helpful at this time.

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 10:41 BST (UK) »
No, I'm sorry - I haven't done any work on this line recently, but am still interested to hear of any new information. All best, Emma
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline timmyfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway , I'll post if I get any further with my enquiry.

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 June 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this board but the name Thomas Cleobury rang a bell. He was a witness to the marriage in Broseley between (my) Thomas Taylor and Jane Beddow January 6th 1783.
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 June 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
This must be our Thomas Cleobury (Broseley 1752-1821), or possibly Thomas Clibrey his father (b.1720) - whose death date I am yet to find. Thanks for this. I'll will add it to the facts known about them. I don't know how he is linked to the Beddows / Taylors, although the name Beddow rings bells.