Author Topic: Francis Robert Kane  (Read 1739 times)

Offline KMFRoberts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Robert Kane
« on: Sunday 27 August 06 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help please?
Looking for information about Francis Robert Kane born c1863, a seaman by trade, (on my grandmothrs birth cert). He married an Elizabeth Rivington. Her father was George Rivington or Revington. His father was Francis Kane. I can't find him on the census. In 1901 census he is nowhere in sight, but Elizabeth Kane and her daughters Frances and Elizabeth are "inmates" at Test House, West Derby, workhouse. On my Grandmothers marriage cert from 1921 Francis Robert Kane is listed as deceased, but I can't find the records. Any help gratefully received, thanks, Kate.
Thornton, Pigford, Toaduff: County Durham.
Anderson, Parkin, Farnsworth, Broomhead: Lincs and Notts.
Kane: Liverpool / Ireland.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Robert Kane
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 06 09:25 BST (UK) »
What was Francis Kane Sr's occupation?

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMFRoberts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On Francis and Elizabeth's marriage cert, Francis senior is listed as a cashier and George Revington as a tailor. Francis junior was 27 years old when he married hence the 1863 theory for his year of birth. It also says they married at St Michael's Church, (catholic) in West Derby. One of the witnesses was a Rosina McLoughlin, the other is illegible. Both fathers are listed as deceased. I found a Francis Robert Kane born in 1858 to Francis Kane and Mary Ann Burlinson on the BMD Index but the dates don't quite tie in. It's a bit of a puzzle especially the part about the workhouse. I know that it is them as my Gran had told my dad she lived at the workhouse as a child, but she didn't talk about the family much. She died in 1969 and my dad died 3 years ago. I have an Aunt living from that family but she says she doesn't know any details as Gran kept it to herself, I don't think she had a happy early life and seemed to shut it out in later life. Regards, Kate.
Thornton, Pigford, Toaduff: County Durham.
Anderson, Parkin, Farnsworth, Broomhead: Lincs and Notts.
Kane: Liverpool / Ireland.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 06 14:32 BST (UK) »
OK - I thought I'd found a possible candidate (although dates were iffy), but the father was a soldier, so that's no good.

I've found the parents of Francis Robert Kane (W Derby, 1858) on the 1851 census: that Francis is a dock porter, born in Ireland.

But your FR is definitely elusive - I suppose he could have been at sea on the later censuses, but you'd expect to find him with his family in 1871...

??? ???

I'll do some more digging, but wonder if he was born in Ireland, and that's why he doesn't show up before his marriage? 

Rambler

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk