Author Topic: Causes of Death  (Read 8866 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Causes of Death
« on: Monday 28 August 06 15:49 BST (UK) »
I had been informed by my mother that her grandfather died when he fell off his horse after it was struck by lightning. So was the story told to her by my grandmother, who in turn, it appears, was also given the story (I don't think she made up the story as she was only young when her father died)

As 'facts' handed down are not always proved to be correct, I sent off for his death certificate. He died in a lynatic asylum, the cause of death given as ' General Paralysis 12 months'. In my naivity I believed that this meant he had not died from the fall but become paralysed and, sadly, been put in an asylum.

I have since been put right in my assumptions, and that 'General Paralysis' was a rife disease suffered by mainly men of 'suspectible morals'. It was a result of syphilis!

It led me to wonder what reasons other people may have on their death certificates.

I have one from 1879, that simply says the cause of death was 'old age'  (she was 90!)

I also have one from 1908 -  ' accidently killed by being knocked down by a charabanc'.  Unforntuately, this turned out not to be the person I thought it was, and no relation.

What other odd causes are to be found out there?  ..............
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline BassinghamTerrier

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Pashby, born Levisham 1816, and wife Mary
    • View Profile
Re: Causes of Death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
The wife of my gt-gt-gt-gt-gt-grandfather died of "the King's Evil" in 1788.

Apparently" the King's Evil" was scrofula, a type of skin disease, thus-called because it was said that it could only be cured by the laying-on of royal hands.

Perhaps not unusual or sad, but certainly a new one on me!  :)
Researching ...
PASHBY in Scarborough, Levisham, and outlying area
SEDMAN in Scarborough, Scalby, Everley and Hackness
BIRD in Easington, Patrington, Sculcoates and Hull
DOBSON in Edinburgh, Wakefield, York and Scarborough
SUTTON in Wintringham and Scarborough
ROSS in Edinburgh and outlying districts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 06 18:20 BST (UK) »
I was told that my grandfather's great-grandfather drowned at sea. As he was a sea captain this sounded quite logical, until I discovered an obituary in the local newspaper....seems he did drown, but in a well in the yard at home!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
One of hubby's great great grandads died of "Decay of Nature" Still not sure exactly what that is

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who became a porter on a railway station shortly after they began. He died, struck by a train. I have seen the newspaper articles - poor soul walked out behind one train and did not hear the other...

Now they have bridges/underpasses.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline BassinghamTerrier

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Pashby, born Levisham 1816, and wife Mary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
One of hubby's great great grandads died of "Decay of Nature" Still not sure exactly what that is

Having Googled "Decay of nature" and looked at the deaths that it tends to encompass, it would seem to me that it is a synonym for 'old age'. All of the examples that I found were 70+ years old.

Could be wrong of course ...  :-\

Roger  ;)
Researching ...
PASHBY in Scarborough, Levisham, and outlying area
SEDMAN in Scarborough, Scalby, Everley and Hackness
BIRD in Easington, Patrington, Sculcoates and Hull
DOBSON in Edinburgh, Wakefield, York and Scarborough
SUTTON in Wintringham and Scarborough
ROSS in Edinburgh and outlying districts

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 August 06 19:49 BST (UK) »

Not on a death certificate but in the actual parish records detailing the burial.

Death by accidental shooting.

This was my 3x great grandmothers first husband. They had been married 12 weeks and she was pregnant with there daughter.

We knew nothing about the marriage until I went to look for the baptism of all her children.

Will have to try to find out who was involved...

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 06 20:40 BST (UK) »

Having Googled "Decay of nature" and looked at the deaths that it tends to encompass, it would seem to me that it is a synonym for 'old age'. All of the examples that I found were 70+ years old.

Could be wrong of course ...  :-\

Roger  ;)

A "lovely" way to describe old age isn't it?  - Your nature's decaying Mr Davidson!

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 August 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
How about

Accidentally fell down stairs while on his way to follow his daily calling and injured his head.  Lived 30 hours

I still haven't decided what "daily calling" means!

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland