Author Topic: Causes of Death  (Read 8865 times)

Offline Skipworth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Causes of Death
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 September 06 11:33 BST (UK) »

I think the saddest death, was the death of my g grandfather's brother, aged 9, twelve months after they arrived in Australia.  My gg grandfather seems to have done a disappearing act, and my gg grandmother emigrated to Aus with her four children.

Lots and lots of kidney disease and cancer.  Sometimes I think it is better not to know the causes of death of one's ancestors ;D

Skipworth in Aus

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 September 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
BTW, your 'daily calling' would, I am afraid, be going to the toilet.

I have many references, which range from the enigmatic, 'suddenly' and 'after a long illness courageously borne' to quite a bit of yellow fever.

One couple were burned to death in a train accident at Abergele.
One died in 1775 by 'suicide - cutting his throat in an act of delirium' (there were runours about his wife's conduct). Another died in 1770 when a tree fell on him.
One 17th century ancestor was mudered at Bourtie Mill. One poor wonam died from an overdose of paraldehyde erroneously administered.
And one died from wounds sustained whilst tiger shooting!
Many obviously died in childbirth - hard times.

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
  • A smile can make some ones day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 00:35 BST (UK) »
I have two babies who died from 'teething'! Actually at the time in the early 1800's doctors prescribed powders for teething. These contained Mercury, and it is quite likely that they died from mercury poisoning.
And on the subject of poisoning one child in another family died through 'accidentally ingesting  poisonous preparations'. Her father was an apothacary and ran a chemists shop! Very suspect I think! Where was his duty of care?

Pennine
Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 07:17 BST (UK) »

I have since been put right in my assumptions, and that 'General Paralysis' was a rife disease suffered by mainly men of 'suspectible morals'. It was a result of syphilis!

I've got a death from 'paralysis' and assumed (naively?) that he'd suffered a stroke. Given what I know of his son's morals, I may have to re-think that now - he had to inherit that sort of behaviour from somewhere  ::)

My gg grandmother died from 'Cerebral haemorrhage, partial paralysis, injury to face following fall in roadway'. Poor love.

Silvilocks

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk