Author Topic: What is the IGI  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is the IGI
« on: Monday 28 August 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help me out here I see this all the time IGI and dont understand what it means, I feel I am missing out here with information I could get, many thanks

Susan

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: What is the IGI
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 06 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

IGI stands for the International Genealogical Index, a computerised index generated by the Mormons from information submitted to them by members over the years.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, as they are more properly called, were attempting to list everyone who ever lived in order to re-baptise them into the true religion before the day of judgement to ensure they would be saved.

The index is, understandably, incomplete.  Also, because of the way much of the information was obtained, it contains a number of errors.

Having said all of this, it is a useful guide to finding possible ancestors, but anything you find should be carefully checked against the original records for the relevant parish.

The IGI can be searched free at www.familysearch.org

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 August 06 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan -

Bill's answer is right on. I will add just a couple of bits of information.

The IGI is the International Genealogical Index. The information in the index is gleaned from actual church records and transcribed by members of the Later Day Saints (LDS)church.

Church members and missionaries go around the world collecting information for the IGI. The information was originally put on microfiche and now entered into computers. In some instances the microfiche records are more accurate than computer records.

The transcriptions may or may not be verified or correct. Therefore, a person still needs to reconcile, view or check the original church / parish records.

The IGI information is available to anyone who chooses to use it.

Good luck.  :)

yn9man

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 August 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for answering my request, I now know what it is

Regards Susan

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you don't as neither of the replies actually gave an accurate answer.

The IGI (International Genealogical Index) is the Index of Ordinances carried out in the Temples of The Church of Latter-day Saints (LDS), nothing more, nothing less.

As an index of these ordinances it is 100% complete and 100% accurate.

Family historians attempt to use the IGI as an index to Parish Registers but then moan that it is not accurate and not complete. That, however is like using a telephone directory as an index to the voters of an area; some entries will be correct, some will be wrong and some will be missing.

Some of the Controlled Extractions (mass filming of the source material which is then submitted for temple ordinances) data on the IGI originated from Parish Registers, some from Bishop's Transcripts, some from other printed sources.
In addition some of the data on the IGI comes from Patron Submissions, these are where a Patron (member of the LDS, or a member of the public submits data which is then subject to an ordinance or ordinances)
I much preferred when it was called the Computer File Index as this caused less confusion.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Guy is quite right of course - I was trying to avoid getting too complicated!   :-[

I have a number of printouts from these records, showing when people were posthumously baptised and "sealed to parents".

In addition some of the data on the IGI comes from Patron Submissions, these are where a Patron (member of the LDS, or a member of the public submits data which is then subject to an ordinance or ordinances)

That is where many of the errors crept in - the information provided was often gained from wills, etc., or just "family knowledge" - and we all know how reliable that is!  ???

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Guy is right to a certain point. Bill is also right.

However, if you are new to the IGI I really don't think you need a complicated answer.

Many of the staff at the FHC where I research and do some volunteering admit that information isn't always accurate ... especially information from "family sources".   

Wishing you continued good luck in using the index.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Just joining in on this thread and also wondering as to how accurate the IGI is.  I have slowly managed to get to 3xg grandparents thru the web and was rather pleased with my slow progress.  I then discovered the IGI and in a matter of 15-20 minutes, on 1 line I was able to trace back to 10xG grandparents.  Because of the ease and speed of this, I really don't know how much I should trust this.  Indeed when I looked more closely at the ages of some begatters (is that the right word?) or fathers, 1 would have been 15 when his son was born (believable) but another would only have been 11 or 12 (not very believable). 
Any comments on this?
Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sallysmum,

does the IGI give the birth dates or just the christening dates? Sometimes people were christenend at about 10 years old. I have an example of this in my tree in the 1600's.

Caz
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex