Author Topic: Charlotte Trethewy TRUDGEAN  (Read 788 times)

Offline junket

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Help appreciated (SIGHT IMPAIRMENT) with image
    • View Profile
Charlotte Trethewy TRUDGEAN
« on: Tuesday 29 August 06 11:24 BST (UK) »

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

My ggg grandfather, William Vivian ( from St MEwan ), was married to Charlotte ( from St Mewan ).  They are listed on the 1881 census, as having Charlotte's mother Elizabeth TRUDGEON ( from St Ewe ), widow, living with them.

I have found a marriage for a William vivian and a Charlotte TRETHEWY TRUDGEAN  or a Charlotte TRETHEWRY TRUDGEAN, in Mar 1/4 1850.

I have found at Familysearch.org the following.

TRUDGAIN  Charlotte christening 5/8/1827 and a death, 25/9/1828, parents Wlliam and Elizabeth.

TRUDGAIN  Charlotte christening 25/2/1/30  parents William and Elizabeth.

Can anyone help with the correct spellings of TRUDGEON and  TRETHEWe, please?

Y
Paternal line, ALL CORNISH ...
AUGER, BALL, BRAY, BROAD, COLMAN, COON, EDE, GLASSON, HICKS, INCH, LEMIN, RUNNALLS, PEARCE, PRATER, PROUT, TRUDGIAN, TREVAINS, VIVIAN, WELLINGTON, YELLAND

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone help me please.....?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there

'Trudgean', 'Trudgain' and 'Trudgeon' would simply be spelling variants of the same word.  I don't think you could say that there was any correct spelling as such.  You just need to be creative when looking for this family!

As regards the marriage reference, the name is entered as Charlotte Trethewy TRUDGEAN on the GRO Index (no 'r').

Where a single entry crops up twice on FreeBMD with different spellings (as in this case) it's generally because the name has been transcribed differently by two people.  Don't be surprised however if 'Trethewy' has also been spelled differently in other records!

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast