Author Topic: BENNELLICKS of Exeter (modern)  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BENNELLICKS of Exeter (modern)
« on: Tuesday 29 August 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
One of the family lines includes the Bennellicks of Crediton who moved to Exeter in the 1850s, and were still in the area in the 1940s.

This group includes the ones killed in the tragic theatre fire and mostly lived in COOMBE ST in Exeter.

Another family name was Vaughan they lived in SMYTHE ST in Exeter.

Have been in touch with the aussie Bennellicks, but have lost contact details.  Same family.

The Bennellicks all go back to William Bennellick and Sarah Puddicombe,  both born about 1810.

I have most of the census details thanks, looking for more modern relatives or anyone living in Exeter or Crediton, re photos or cemetery crawling, thanks.

:)

Offline Klausner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BENNELLICKS of Exeter (modern)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 07 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Michelle and I think I have a family connection with you. I have Bennellicks that lived in Exeter and also have a William Bennellick who was born in 1811 and Sarah Puddicombe rings a bell but I cant find all my information at the moment!

Did your William Bennellick B:1811 have a brother called James Bennellick because that is where my connection comes in. I live in Hayes not far from Heathrow airport but I do have relatives that still live in Devon.

I would like to know more about the tragic fire that killed some of the Bennellicks, do you have there names?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I will look forward to hearing from you.

From Michelle

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 07 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michele,

Yes, William had a brother called James (b abt 1815) married an Ann.

Sound like your guys ?

There are some links to the fire, try googling Exeter theatre fire.
The Bennellicks that died were James and Matilda and two of their children Bessie & George. They were all part of my girlfriends direct line and her great grand-dad and his siblings were orphaned, as were a large number of children after the fire.

The strange thing is I cannot find their deaths on any registration rolls.

Offline Klausner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 07 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Yeah thats our guys - I looked up loads of information about the fire yesterday and it looks so tragic!

Yeah James was married to an Ann Reed and they had 7 children as far as I know:

William Bennellick B: 1841
Charlotte Bennellick B: 1843
Ann Bennellick B: 1844
Eliza Bennellick B: 1846
James Bennellick B: 1850
Walter Bennellick B: 1854
Jane Bennellick B: 1857 - this is my great great great Gran she married a Sprague and went on to have 13 children!!!! (big families)

The James and Mathilda that died - How where they related to James Bennellick who married Ann Reed? I do have a few James's but none that married a Matilda?

All I know is that James Bennellick B: 1816 had a brothers william and John and 2 sisters called Harriet and Fanny.

Also I what I found out yesterday was that James's son William B: 1841 died in September 1887 at the aged of 25 and I think he might have been in the fire as well? but wasn't who he would have gone to the theatre with! would your guys that died have been his cousins?

Sorry for all the questions! but I just like to know who's who :-)

I will keep a look out for their death registrations for you and I ley you know if I find anything! Say hello to your girlfriend for me as well :-)

Offline Klausner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 07 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Ok sorry! I made a slight mistake!

where I said James's son William died in September 1887 - it was in fact James's grandson and william's Son called William that died (see how it can get confusing!!ha) he was born in 1861 and was 25 when he died in 1887.

Sorry about that! there's so many names to keep tract of that it's easy to get lost now and then! as I'm sure you know :-)

From Michelle

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
James (died in fire) and your gran Jane were first cousins. 

Your James was our James uncle.

and Barbara says hi too.

:)

Offline Nathanoj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 23 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I realise that this thread is really old, but if anyone is still around I'd love to talk to you about the Bennellicks. I'm a descendant of the Bennellicks from Crediton. Found this by accident when I was researching the theatre fire. Would love to compare notes and share photos!

You can see exactly where I fit in on my tree here (I'm on the furthest right)

https://nathanojm.github.io/Family/tree_svg.html?p=tree_svg_conf.html&stxt=jonathan&idx=341&sasc=29&sdsc=29

Jonathan

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 23 19:56 GMT (UK) »
If you go to https://www.devonfhs.org.uk/ there is a search for grave stones. There are 14  BENNELLICK recorded there, many in Exeter Higher Cemetery.
Normally Members of Devon FHS can access photos of the resultant grave stones but unfortunately that option is not working at present.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline Nathanoj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this. I managed to work out who some of them are, but there are some I can't work out. There are so many people on this side of the family called Ellen Bennellick. Can I ask, are you part of the Bennellick family? Where abouts do you fit in?