Author Topic: Anyone get as far as me without using Record offices  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get as far as me without using Record offices
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
I've never been to a record office either but I did spend two hours a week for 10 years at my local Family history centre looking at their films of Parish Registers.  I got one line back to 1670.  I may have got back to 1600 but cannot prove the connection. Too many people with the same name.

I also read a lot of books ordered from my local library, to get background information.  I get Family Tree magazine and belong to 6 Family History Societies and have a collection of books about two of my regions.

Since getting on the net I have found more background info and a few relatives and soldiers discharge papers.

I couldn't travel to the areas of interest.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 19:42 BST (UK) »
I've cracked the 1600 barrier but I could not have done it without the record offices - there were no on-line resources or local LDS centres back in the 1980s!

I still prefer to use the original records rather than relying on transcripts and indexes.  Anything I find on-line I always try to check from the original source or at least an image of the original source to eliminate transcription errors.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 15:10 BST (UK) »
Bill

Don't you think there is something rather special about handing an original source, particular if it has some writing or signatures of your ancestors on it??  You don't get that online.

Don't get me wrong though, I think it is great the amount of stuff you can download and see online, I think the net is brilliant for bringing so much information into my own home.  I just love record offices!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 15:18 BST (UK) »
I think it's the smell of them and the atmosphere and just the history of it all - al those years of documents. Wearing gloves and having a cushion to prop them on. And when you see your ancestors signatures (not many in my case  :( ) it's well................................

Jan had a thread a while back about going into the Archives at the Shropshire Records Office.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
When you see a signature it's like you can connect with that person.  Or is that a bit fanciful??

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
Not fanciful at all.

I'm not sure whether I'd describe it as connecting but it's tingle making. Even more powerful than a photo. This was my ancestor who was alive and made this mark - even the little crosses instead of signatures set me off  :)

Gadget - just an old romantic softee  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
You and me both, I try to imagine them as they were writing that signature, what did they look like, what were they thinking etc

Kerry ::) ::)

Offline Kath RAF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hows this for a thought, I live in N. Lincolnshire and my daughter and family live in Arlesey, Bedfordshire, until recently I didn't know I had G,G, Grandparents from a place called Campton about 10 minutes drive from Arlesey. Decided to take a ride out one morning and yes walking down the streets and lanes and past the old pub ( which I am sure they must have used) certainly made the hair stand up on the back of my head. Walked around the church yard , unable to enter the church but sat on a bench outside for a while contemplating. Sadly it would appear no relatives still live in the area.
But what a great feeling, next weekend I will be down again and this time intend to arrive at Campton when the pub is open.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 17:41 BST (UK) »
I know that feeling Kath - I get it whenever I stand by their (invariably unmarked) graves.  You feel you want to talk to them, to ask them for the answers to so many (now) un-answerable questions about their lives.

I guess I'm just another romantic old softie, but I can't help a little tear sometimes.   :'(

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA