Author Topic: Our Ancestors #2  (Read 24433 times)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #162 on: Friday 14 July 06 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline :)

Great photos you are so like your mother.....two very pretty ladies... i can see where you get your looks from.....when you mentioned time has disappeared over the horizon...got me thinking of one of the poems dad wrote...his words are so true...hope you like it.

pentio.

Reminisce

As I sit alone and reminisce,

Of times so long ago,

The friends I had, but now I miss,

The folk I used to know.

Time passes by so quickly now,

Which in my youth, stood still,

All my friends have long since gone,

To a land much more tranquil.

I know that we will meet again,

Our friendship to renew,

In a place where love is paramount,

In everything we do.

So when our God, calls us one day,

To that land, where love is all,

God’s love for us shall reign supreme,

Never again from Grace to fall.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Friday 14 July 06 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Pentio - Thanks for Dad's lovely poem - enough to bring a tear to the eye.
My mother always said that my mouth was my father's but the rest was her !
It always pleases me that although I was the one and only I gave her three grand-daughters and eight great-grandchildren - all of whom she saw before she died.
I told her that was quite some achievement !

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Friday 14 July 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Pentio - What a lovely poem, please may I keep it to use? - I have a library of things I may use for church and other suitable occasions (parish magazine etc).  It sums up so many thoughts.

Emmeline - great pics of the family and the generations.  I am with you on wondering where time has gone - last time I looked I was only 18!!

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Friday 14 July 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Nice poem. i do love poetry - the simplicity of few words and the complexity of meaning both together  :)
My favourites are haiku - used to write a few to amuse myself on my Plymouth/Exeter daily train journey.

I have found another picture for you - again from photo - and when I mean photos these were photos of pages of the album, so enlarging them to this size is a bit iffy. Sorry about the quality. i'll just have to get the originals and scan them - I'll buy sister a scanner when next down and take a USB flash disk  :)

This one is of Mum and Dad when they were courting so maybe 1929-1930 ish.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Friday 14 July 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
Gadget.....they look so happy and care free...lovely photograph. USB flash...is that one of them stick things you poke in the holes ::)

Emmeline............you have got that look on your face again(one with your mother) and you look so proud with your daughter...yes time seems to fly

Pentio....your Dad had a way with the words...did he not.....fab

Saz...you can post the photograph if you want........I might get some sympathy, over what you put me (my hair) through  :'(

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Friday 14 July 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
Gadget.....they look so happy and care free...lovely photograph. USB flash...is that one of them stick things you poke in the holes

Think you describe it perfectly Steve  ;D ;D ;D

They do look happy don't they  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Friday 14 July 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
Emmeline :)

great that your mum saw the grand daughters and the great grandchildren only wish my mum had lived long enough to enjoy my two boys she would have loved them...re dads poems i often wonder what went trrough his mind when he put pen to paper.

Elliebob :)

thanks for your kind comments .......feel free to use dad's poem i'm sure he would be thrilled to think someone enjoyed it so much to want to use it....makes me happy you feel that way

Steve :)

yes dad had a way with words i'm thinking of publishing his poems all 42 of them......they are all very good...some happy....some sad .....others amusing....i love them..

Saz  :)

yes we want the photo of Steve....no matter how her hair looked i'm sure its lovely.

pentio.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Friday 14 July 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
My parents wedding(Belfast) a snap shot taken by a rellie

front row..from the left .....

Jim Porter(mums brother,my Uncle)
Johnnie Kirkpatrick (my great Granada)
Sadie Snr Walker nee Kirkpatrick (greataunt)
Sarah kirkpatrick nee Twig( my greatgrannie)( it is her mother Sarah Twig we are looking for)
Agnes McGrum nee Porter(greataunt)..

next row...
between Johnnie and Sadie Snr is great Uncle Willy Walker the most fabulous Uncle anyone could wish for then, then wee Sadie jr ,Willy and Sadie's daughter

Saz might know the others,

Pentio........I would buy a copy of your Dads poems

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Friday 14 July 06 21:05 BST (UK) »
Steve :) :)

what a wonderful photo of you mum and dad's wedding..... it's really lovely....when i get the time i will send you all of dads poems if you wish...he would have loved that....i have enjoyed this thread so much and would be happy to give something that meant so much to my dad....if he's looking down i know he would approve

best wishes

pentio. ;D ;D