Author Topic: HALWARD/HALLWARD  (Read 3632 times)

Offline helenv

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
HALWARD/HALLWARD
« on: Thursday 04 November 04 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Recently found, while surfing, :) that the name HALWARD has associations with I O M, possibly of Danish/Norse origins. Has any one heard of this name in either spelling.
Our HALWARD Family are of Norse origin and settled c 900 in London and a second wave in Worcestershire/Herefordshire c 1100.

tia

Helen

Offline Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HALWARD/HALLWARD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Helen,
The IGI gives no instances of the name Hallward/Halward. It certainly is not a Manx name.

Elizabeth
QUALTROUGH Isle of Man & world wide

Qualtroughs have been found in Liverpool, Manchester and other places in Lancs. However I am interested in contact with all Qualtroughs and descendants everywhere.

Offline apocalypse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
My last name is Hallward and this is the original correct spelling. Google Hallward. It was pronounced Halward so that is how it ended up like that. Hallward goes back to Norway, where there is a place in Oslo named Hallward square. W being pronounced with a V in their language. From their we travled through scottland, ireland, whales, england and I ended up in Canada. Our history traces from 900 c.

So were related, nice to meet you. Interesting I found this post :D. You would be happy to know that there are a lot of Hallwards/Halwards in the Europe and also North America.

Offline Lindsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hallvard is certainly is a Norwegian forename. St. Hallvard (1020-1043), appears on the Oslo coat of arms and there is a street named after him - St.Hallvard's gate - in the old part of the city of Oslo., where there is also a church named after him. St.Hallvard was reputedly drowned in the Drammensfjord for protecting the name of a pregnant woman. Surnames as such were not commonly used in Norway until the 19th century this is explained at
http://www.nndata.no/home//borgos/names/htm
To suggest that all the Hallvards are related is too  far-fetched. The name Hallvard certainly has Scandinavia linguistic elements just  as numerous place names in the north of England, but this, I think. is as far as one can possibly go.