Author Topic: Why the difference in Levels on Photo Restorations?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Why the difference in Levels on Photo Restorations?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 August 06 02:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry Kieth, also forgot to add that if you have done a lot of work such as colour editing it can also affect the continuety of one or more colours, thereby having the same effect.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 August 06 02:24 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest you may want to look at this site for an explanation of levels - dont be put off by the title it has an explanation of levels that is very easy to understand. it is from a site called photoshop for astrophotographers - sounds grand and very cerebral but in fact is a simple site (should be more like it)

http://www.astropix.com/PFA/SAMPLE3/SAMPLE3.HTM

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 August 06 04:37 BST (UK) »
Here is another explanation of levels that I found useful - describes it much better than I ever could!

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-levels-1-2-3.html

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 August 06 11:12 BST (UK) »

Thanks Denn & Prue - those pages explain a lot.

I knew  what happened when I moved the sliders etc - but never knew why it was happening.

The simple coins diagram explains everything.

Only trouble now is I will have no excuse for not making all photos better - but of course I can always blame the scanner!!  ;)

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 August 06 11:35 BST (UK) »
Actually Kieth, if the coins diagram had have shown the gaps it may well have been describing my houshold budget!

Denn

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 August 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Keith,
          I suspect that it is all to do with adjusting High Bit Depth Images.

Tomkin ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline arnietheother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a theory.
I've seen this effect before on digitally edited images.  I think it's caused by expanding the range of a channel with levels / curves or similar tools. 
I'm not sure what the RGB channel is, perhaps some sum of the R, G & B channels? My understanding is that it's some representation of the distribution of values from black to white in the image. 
My theory is that the channel starts out as a smoothly varying distribution of levels, but as the range of a channel is expanded, pixel levels are re-distributed up or down, but with a weighting, probably due to integer truncation or some other software imperfection.  So over a very narrow range of the graph, most or even all values will be rounded down and hardly any or none rounded up, resulting in the skewed distribution we see in the RGB channel graph. 
Plausible?

Arnie.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
Very near,

Tomkin ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 September 06 00:14 BST (UK) »
All this apart, here is a practical tip for levels adjustment that can make it more effective.
Your rgb histogram gives an indication of what levels are present in all three colours, but they are rarely all the same, so in your levels box is the ability to choose either r,g or b. Now if you adjust the levels of each one seperately, the result will be different to that of adjusting them as a whole - usually a better result.