Author Topic: The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!  (Read 3253 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!
« on: Thursday 31 August 06 09:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they were sorry for me because my computer was down for a week and I was going crazy... :o :o

With a distant cousin, I am trying to research mysterious French ancestors who lived in the West Indies and British Guiana.  Lots of brick walls there!

My ggggrandmother rejoiced in the name (we think! many spelling variants) of Marie Francoise Adelaide Serane (de Fleault?)  She is said to have eloped from a convent, aged 17, to marry a Dutch/Irish adventurer, Peter Moore.  No idea if this story is correct.

There is a family belief that she went to live in England after hubby disappeared for good on an expedition into the jungle.  I'd searched for her long ago under the above name and not found her.  Just recently, there were one or two clues that she may have been known as Adele Moore.  So I took myself off to the LDS Family History Centre (not having Ancestry), and put in the name, and bingo!  Quickest find I've ever had!  1851, 1871 and 1881 censuses (no show on 1861, but I'm used to this with censuses now!), and her death in Islington at the age of 87!  And in each census, she had various descendants visiting or living with her.  One or two mysteries, but still.  So I've got a line on a few of these as well!!  :) :)

My question now is - why would a French West Indian widow come to live in England?  Suppose I'll never know that!  And it won't help me track her parents, who are a real problem.  Still, it was a great day, and helped to console me for no 'puter and no Rootschat!!!  ;D ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 06 09:55 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Marie on your breakthrough.  The Gods seem to be smiling on quite a few of this week!!!!

I had a little tiny breakthrough as well, was sent a baptism date I have been hunting which confirms the parents I thought were wrong, were!

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 06 16:49 BST (UK) »
Well done Marie and Kerry  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hope those walls keep on tumbling  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If I share a bit of goodwill then possibly mine might get a bit unstable ;)
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 06 04:04 BST (UK) »
Good theory, Wheeldon!  Spread the goodwill around, and it may grow and increase!!   ;D ;D ;D

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 11:35 BST (UK) »

Well done Marie, would you like to start on mine now you have some 'spare time'       ;)

Barbara              8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
You're a humorous soul, Barbara!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I've got more than enough brick walls to keep me going for the rest of my life!  Just great to put little cracks in a couple of them, occasionally!

MarieC

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi MarieC,

Well done, I hope the genealogy gods smile on me, I have just spent the weekend on a brick wall for the umpteenth time, without the teeniest little crack bothering to appear :'(

Anyway here is your Adele in 1861, she is boarding with an Eliza Bridges and family:

34 Burton Crescent, St Pancras (RG9/103, Folio 115, Page 2)
Adela Moore, Boarder, Widow, 63, House Proprietor, Guadalope, W.I.

Regards, Kath

Edit:
Thought I had better add the other boarders as they could be related, especially as there is a 14 year old also called Adele, I am afraid some of the writing is really hard to read:

Eliza    Bridges, Head, Un, 52, Boarding School, Teacher, Scotland
Elphemia M "   , Sister, ",  47          "                                   "
John M        "  ,  Brother, " 36, Clerk in Merchant Off,          "
Adela Moore, Boarder, Widow, 63, House Proprietor, Guadalope, W.I.
Adriana Hagart, Boarder, Un, 40, Fund Holder, Besbice? W.I.
Adele Sherlock??,   "            "  , 14, Scholar            "        "
Chs?? W   "            "            "    10,     "                  "        "
Eliza W      "            "            " , 7        "                   "        "
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 02:33 BST (UK) »
Kath!!!

Thank you so much for that.  I don't know why I didn't find that when I searched for her at the LDS Family History Centre!!

Thank you also for listing the others in the household!  I'm a bit mystified by some of them, but I can only assume the Bridges people are brothers and sisters of her son-in-law Robert H Bridges.  I haven't discovered who the Adriana Hagard person is - she is listed on one census as a relative.  Adele and Charles Sherlock were grandchildren, children of her daughter Eliza who had probably died.  The young Eliza must be the last child of Eliza Sherlock, a child about whom I hadn't known before!

Once again, for the umpteenth time, I am greatly indebted to fellow Rootschatters!!  Many, many thanks, Kath!  And I really do hope you manage to make a crack in that very resistant brick wall - I know just what it's like!  Will be sending you all the best vibes for this to happen!  ;D ;D ;D

MarieC

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 02:50 BST (UK) »

Hi Girl !!

Wonder if Peter was a soldier Marie ?? I'll keep looking !

( Sort of Jane Austinish ..... eloping with a naughty man ............ etc etc !! )

http://website.lineone.net/~bwir/regiments.htm

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I