Author Topic: The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!  (Read 3256 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 September 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie

And I still haven't got to buy any credits at SP (but will let you know when I do) - I have 25 waiting for when I need to spend some more. I seem to be running into brick walls in England at the minute.

I find the LDS film much better value for pre civil reg - as there are usually multiples of your family on the same film & sometimes deaths as well - all for $5 - a veritable bargain.  :D  :D

This reminds me - the LDS also have the Scottish civil registrations 1855 -1875 - They are on the IGI and you can order them in as well.

regards

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 September 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi MarieC

Have looked at the Hagarts on the 1841 and 1851 census and have just got quite excited at the 1851 census, they were living in Edinburgh on both censuses.  Anyway on the 1851 census, Ann is a widow age 66, birthplace listed as St Eustaties?, West Indies, Br Subject.  Adriana is still living with her, along with several other children.
Kath,

Firstly for explaining your find on the 1861 census - I had been feeling stupid, thinking "how did I miss that?", but the mistranscription explains it. Yes, I was looking at Ancestry!

I have had the same feeling, but in my case it was justified, I was looking on the 1851 census for a Peter McDonald and had given up and another kind rootschatter found him for me and his name was written as MC Donald (not that hard).

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 September 06 14:33 BST (UK) »
Couldn't leave this alone!!!  Found the death record of Ann Patricia Hagart in 1858.  Looks like she is the sister of your Peter Moore as she is listed as the widow of a West Indian Merchant.  Her parents are listed as William Moore Esq, Landed Proprietor of Eustacius (Deceased) and Adrianna Moore, Maiden name Henlygen? Deceased.  I am afraid it is quite hard to read in parts.

If you would like me to send you this and the two censuses, please PM and I'll get them off to you.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 September 06 04:30 BST (UK) »

I find the LDS film much better value for pre civil reg - as there are usually multiples of your family on the same film & sometimes deaths as well - all for $5 - a veritable bargain.  :D  :D

This reminds me - the LDS also have the Scottish civil registrations 1855 -1875 - They are on the IGI and you can order them in as well.

Thanks for all of this, friend Trish!  This should keep me out of trouble and off the streets for awhile!

To all kind Rootschatters on this thread - I'm going to be offline for a few weeks, so forgive me if I don't answer your messages!  Will be in touch again ASAP.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 September 06 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath

This is fascinating stuff!  It is all starting to fit together.  And I'm seeing where the name Adriana comes from - always did think that Adrienne was a strange name for a Dutchwoman (William Moore's wife).

So many Scottish connections that I didn't know about at all!  Obviously know all about my Scottish Camerons, but this is another dimension!

It is so good to have access to a Scottish death record that gives useful things like parents' names (the system we have in Australia!)  English death certs are so uninformative.

I searched on freebmd for a death for Adriana Hagart, the one who lived with Adele Moore, but didn't find one.  Maybe she went back to Scotland when the old lady died.  I will have to look there next.

I'm about to pm you.

Thanks a million!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland