Author Topic: The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!  (Read 3255 times)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogy Gods smiled - for once!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 04:13 BST (UK) »
Onya Marie!
Keep at it M'Dear,youv'e got them on the run!
Asked my favourite 'gofer' to bring me Peter Moore+Guiana,in amongst the trash is a Guyana
Jenny Logical Society,Guyana being the modern name,Jenny etc;my spelling.
Anyhow,no Peter,s,no De Fleault's,all variant's,BUT,a De Freitas+Deveaux.
Also there is a selection ,Jenny Logical help sites,and newspaper addy's.
Look's to be interesting+informative if nowt else.
                     Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Annie and Goggy, for your information and encouragement!!!  This is a very difficult one to crack because of the location!!  ??? ???

Annie, that was an interesting website!  Possible that Peter Moore could have been a soldier, though we don't know.  He seems to have been the son of William Moore of Drogheda, Ireland, and Adrienne Heyliger of Holland, though I am not sure of the spelling of his mother's name.  I don't know who this Adriana Hagart/Hagard is - she appears on several English censuses living with Adele Moore, and though she is said to have been born in Scotland, I wonder if she was a relative of Adele's mother-in-law.  Adele's first child was christened Harriet Adriana Moore!

At any rate, Peter Moore seems to have been a romantic and charismatic figure!  I am really hoping to find him sometime!

The whole story is so romantic and so cloaked in the mists of history!  It has been wonderful to find Adele in the latter part of her life, but I'd almost kill to find out something about her parents and husband!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi MarieC

Just fabulous - glad your computer is fixed as well. .. Now if you could find my John Bailey in 1841   ;D  ;D

enjoy

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
Think they smiled on me today as well Marie  :)

Looks as if I might have a 'posh' line that has been very well researched back to 1155  8) 8) 8)

Got to do lots of checks - but isn't it lovely. It makes up for those who you can't get very far with  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi MarieC,

Thank you for your kind words, I am looking forward to them vibes getting here ;D

If they use Ancestry at the LDS Family History Centre, then you probably didn't find them as they were badly mistranscribed.  I think the surname Sherlock was transcribed as Sheatock and if I remember rightly, Adele was Adela Moore Bridges, even though it is clear that she was just Adela Moore!!

Many apologies, I had finger trouble when I typed the details, Adriana is enumerated as Hagart, not Hagard, I have amended the typo :P

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I had some spare credits for www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, so thought I would look up Adriana, anyway found her born in Govan (near Glasgow) to parents Robert Haggart/Ann.  Anyway then looked up other children and this is what I found:
21/08/1802, Robert Hagart, Parents Robert Hagart/Ann
07/10/1803, Elizabeth Haggar, Parents Robert/ HaggarAnn
08/05/1805, Adriana Haggart, Parents Robert Haggart/Ann
05/10/1800, William Haggart, Parents Robert Haggart/Ann Moore

Found a marriage on the 03/11/1799 between Robert Hagart to Ann Petricia/Moore.  You can order an extract, I have no idea what this contains.

Also found Eliza Bridges born 28/03/1809 to parents Francis Bridges & Margaret Hill in Edinburgh, also born to the same parents is a Robert Hill Bridges on the 12/04/1817, could this be the son in law?  Other children to Francis & Margaret are:
18/05/1806 David Bridges
08/06/1813 Euphemea McDuff Bridges
23/07/1811 Francis Bridges
24/03/1822 George Husband Bridges
24/05/1819 James Bridges
13/04/1824 John Milner Bridges
24/10/1826 Margaret Hill Bridges
05/04/1829 Mary Helen Bridges
25/09/1807 Peter Bridges
17/03/1815 William Bridges

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 September 06 05:13 BST (UK) »
Kath,

Again, many, many thanks!!  Firstly for explaining your find on the 1861 census - I had been feeling stupid, thinking "how did I miss that?", but the mistranscription explains it.  Yes, I was looking at Ancestry!

Secondly, I'm thrilled that you had a little look on Scotlands People for Adriana.  This is fascinating and takes me in another direction!  All the info I have says that Peter Moore's father William was Irish, from Drogheda (and his mother Dutch).  Now it seems there is a Scottish connection!!  I will ask on the Scottish board to see if someone can tell me whether marriage extracts are worth getting.

Yes, Robert Hill Bridges is almost certainly the son-in-law.  My records say that (Maria) Patricia Moore married him in Berbice, British Guiana (and Eliza also married Charles Sherlock there, as did Margaret Anne marry Donald Charles Cameron).  I have found his death in London in 1869.  Patricia was living with her mother in Islington in 1871 and 1881.  After the old lady died in 1885, she must have come to Australia, because she lived out her life here with her widowed sister Margaret Anne Cameron, my gggrandmother.  I have both their graves in the local cemetery.  They were apparently two formidable old ladies - used to address each other as "Mrs Cameron" and "Mrs Bridges" and you didn't cross them!!!

You've given me a lot of food for thought about this family and its extended bits, Kath!  Many thanks!  The vibes are winging their way around the planet - should be just about flying in at your window as I type!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

MarieC

Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 September 06 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie and Kath

The marriage/birth extracts for pre civil registration at SP are simply copies of the OPRs. If the records are available from the LDS, you can get the information somewhat more cheaply by ordering film. Thus said, I have a few OPR marriages from Scotland where the parish of both bride and groom was listed, the name of the bride's father & occupations of both groom & bride's father were given. I obtained these from the LDS. (I also have many with only the name of the couple  :(  )

Trish

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 September 06 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Trish!!  ;D ;D  I will probably go the way you suggested, ordering a film in to the LDS.  I am intrigued by this!

I'm still no further on with the mysterious Henriette Bruce (from Scotland?)  Have talked to you about her before.

Cheers,

MarieC