Author Topic: family rumour proven :)  (Read 1453 times)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
family rumour proven :)
« on: Thursday 31 August 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

Today has been a good day for new information, i notice other rootchatters have said similar things so today must be a good day for genealogists all round.

Today a family rumour that my great aunt had a baby before she was married and that the baby was given up for adoption was proven by the arrival of the birth certificate from the GRO. My mum had heard the rumour from her mum and we after searching the birth indexes on ancestry came up with a possible name when my grt aunt would have been 18. The girls first name was the same as my grt aunts middle name and with the mothers maiden name the same as her surname in the right area of the country, a big coincidence. We cautiously sent off for the certificate and received it today to find that this person really was my grt aunts daughter and that she was subsequently given up for adoption.

Even though we realise that we may never meet this lady (although my mum would quite like to try and track her down somehow), we are safe in the knowledge that my grt aunt married a lovely man and had a nice life and we hope that this lady has to.

So we are really pleased to finally prove the rumour and to add another name to the tree, but have found that as one question is answered (was the rumour true?) another question is asked (where is the lady now?). But thats part of the fun of genealogy!!

Happy Researching
Acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: family rumour proven :)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 06 04:42 BST (UK) »
Great stuff, Acceber!!!

Yes, perhaps the genealogy gods decided to smile on all of us at the same time!  (Wouldn't it be nice if they'd do it more often!!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: family rumour proven :)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Definitely great stuff Acceber!!

Definitely an auspicious day for genealogists. ;D

And yes Marie wouldn't it be great if we had more like that ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....