Author Topic: Scotland 1841 GIBSON Ayrshire/Lanarkshire  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Scotland 1841 GIBSON Ayrshire/Lanarkshire
« on: Friday 01 September 06 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

To help with my own research, and a with booklet to be published in Tasmania, Australia, can I ask for look ups for this family? I am particularly interested in the 1841 census, but anything else would be most welcome.

I have material from John in which he says he left Glasgow in Sept 1849 - may have been in his own schooner, "Helen" to either NZ or Australia.

The following is what I know:

John Gibson, born 12 April 1804
Married Mary Brown either 11 or 14 Nov 1828 in Dundonald. Ayr (she born 1806 in Irvine)

Children:
John born 9 Nov 1829 Irvine, (marr Margaret Craig 11 March 1857 Blythswood, Glasgow), both died Victoria, Australia

Andrew, born 22 June 1831, Dundonald, - no other info known,

William, born c 1833, no other info known

William. born c 1835, no other info known

Mary, born 10 July 1838, Glasgow, Marr Tasmania William Bannatyne , died Dunedin, New Zealand - have all her details,

James, born 11 Aug 1840, Glasgow, married and died in Victoria, Australia - have all his details (my ancestor)

Eleanor, born c 1842 - no other info

Andrew William, born c 1844 - no other info

One of the Andrew's made it to Victoria, Australia - from family history - no other info known.

I have tried to find this family on Ancestry, but with no success. Perhaps you can help.

Regards,
Jean
Christchurch, NZ
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland 1841 GIBSON Ayrshire/Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 06 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean, I didn't have much luck although I did come across this family which looks quite similar,

In 1841, living in Holm Street, Barony, Lanarkshire (622, ED 5A, Page 7)

Mrs Mary Gibson aged 30, (c.1811) and born in Scotland 
John Gibson, aged 10, (c.1831) and  born in Lanarkshire 
Mary Gibson, aged 3, (c.1838) and born in Lanarkshire
James Gibson, aged 1, (c.1840) and born in Scotland 

From your post, the birth of an Andrew William Gibson in c. 1844 may suggest that the Andrew born in 1831 had died and the choice of William as a middle name could be because the two previous Williams (1833 and 1835) had also died in which case the remaining children above do match but I may be clutching at straws ..

Couldn't find John senior but if he owned or worked the Schooner Helen, he may have been at sea.

Not to hijack your post but I would be very interested if you come across an Andrew Gibson born in Old Monkland (Jellyhill, Bishopsbriggs) 1879, no idea when he went to N.Z. but certainly a Farmer in Oamaru in the early 1900's and not related to yours above (at least, I don't think so).

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 06 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Lindsay,
Thank you for your perseverance in trying to find my family. It looks good. I had realised that the first William had died, but it hadnt  occurred to me that the second one had too. Sometimes it helps if some one with fresh eyes looks at data. Now I will have to read up to see what happened to sailors on census night.
Re your Andrew - I can tell you that he did not leave a will - well if he did, he was not living in the Oamaru area when he died. Iwill put him on my list of names to look up the next time I am in the main library - I think electoral rolls will be the first place to start. Do you have any other clues about him that may help?
Regards,
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Thanks for checking wills ... I don't know anything else about Andrew other than his parents were Andrew Gibson and Elizabeth Hewitt - his father died in Scotland, I think his mother also but she is a bit of a mystery. Andrew (Oamaru) married in NZ and according to one family source had about 10 children but I am not sure how reliable this is.

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 06 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,

I have been reading your posts with interest.

I have just learned that my gggrandparents were originally from Scotland and not Ireland where they lived in the mid 1800's. It would be great to know what part of Scotland they were from and when they actually emigrated Does the 1841 census include all of Scotland?

Regards,
Lynnwin

Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynnwinn, yes the 1841 covers all of Scotland with a few exceptions. Who are you looking for?

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 06 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,

My gggrandfathers name in Ireland was John McGARRY c. 1860. I'm not sure if that could have been his surname in Scotland though. Might it have been changed from MacGarry,Garry or Gary upon moving to Ireland? He may not have been born yet in 1841 but his fathers name was also John and he would have been about 20 years old in 1841. He married Mary Adams about 1840-43.

Lynn
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 06 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn,

I found only one John McGarry in the 1841 but he appears to be about the right age.

All born in Wigtownshire and living at a place called Auchentibbert in Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire in 1841

Robert McGarry aged 45, Joiner
Elisabeth McGarry aged 44
John McGarry aged 18, Joiner Apprentice
Mary McGarry aged 12
Peter McGarry aged 11
Elisabeth McGarry aged 9
Ann McGarry aged 6
Cathrine McGarry aged 4
Margaret McGarry aged 1

There are also 3 possibilities for Mary Adams in Wigtownshire, particularly one aged 18 in Penninghame.

Do you know where John and Mary married? From your post, you seem to suggest that they moved from Scotland to Ireland? These may not be your McGarrys but worth noting that Wigtownshire was a popular place for travelling to and from Ireland. I have people from this area too - sometimes they were Scottish and sometimes Irish ...

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire