Author Topic: Back to the future?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the future?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 06 23:00 BST (UK) »
If a child is illegitimate The Father can be named
on the birth certificate if he is present and therefore
accepts the child as his own the child can then be
known with the fathers name. The couple do not need to be married.

Jinks

I would say that this maybe a help to people in the
future. Knowing BOTH parents. Not just the mother.

Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 September 06 07:12 BST (UK) »

With the current trend of giving babies extremely ridiculous names, think of the future census returns........ :o
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 September 06 08:34 BST (UK) »
On a different tangent often wondered when unreadable handwriting will stop being an obstacle to getting all the info from registers,etc when researching your tree. When up in Edinburgh last week noticed that while the info on certificates obtained when registering events was mainly typed on a typewriter the actual entries in the registers sent to Register House(the ones that will be used to research mainly in the future) was handwritten at least into the 1980s.

We got married in the Bahamas and were duly issued with 2 type written certificates, both of which were full of typos, but the same mistakes were not replicated!
Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 September 06 11:18 BST (UK) »
I presume they'll end up adding something other than an "=".  On my software anyway, on printed trees, there's no way of telling if they were married or not.  Adding a "~" or a "-" would be an easy way of telling the difference.

Andrew

Offline hcoldron

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 September 06 11:44 BST (UK) »
My partner and I were talking about this the other day (although he's more concerned with getting a cool job by 2011 for that census!)

I think one of the difficult bits for future generations will be how much more we move around now - taking myself as an example, in the last six years I have lived in seven different houses across four counties between London and York!

I do wonder, though, what on Earth my descendents will think when they see my 2001 census return, as my religion (like many other students) is down as Jedi. (!) I was excited to find that I had not-CofE in my tree, so how much fun will they have with that?

Brilliant.  :D
Bassham, Booth, Chambers, Cobb, Coldron, Courts, Dernie, Farmery, Hill, Houghton, Lawson, Marsh, Snowden, Ulyatt, Wagstaff in Lincs/Yorks/Notts

Cottrell, Grice, Walley, Wade in Staffs
Dumont, Hall in London
Dumont in Tolouse-France

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 September 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

It could get harder over the next 40-50 years, one reson will be the missing 1931 and 1941 census.

After 2021 we will have to wait 30 years for another census, this being 2051 - dont think I will be around then! ;) :P

So much information is gleened from the cenus that we can't obtain from other sources, family members ages, relationships to each other, occupation, how many rooms there were in the house etc.

We will hopefully still have electorole registers, telephone directories/street directories, school records. They dont though give quite the same as the good ole census. :-*

It is going to be dissapointing after the 1921 census knowing that all the information has been lost or not collected after this until 1951, leaving so many people out of the system - a whole generation can be lost here  :(