Author Topic: Margaret Sutherland  (Read 7007 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Margaret Sutherland
« on: Friday 01 September 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
Margaret Sutherland was Christened 1791 Died 10.10.1876 M James Gordon April 1811

she was the daughter of John and Isabella Sutherland nee Cambell

I cannot find the marriage John and Isabella Sutherland

The only marriages on Family Search is 1755 for a John and Isabella .Any help out there

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

The only that I can find on the SP site apart from the one you mentioned which was in Stirling is this one:

2 December 1783 John Sutherland to Barbara Campbell, Durness
GROS Ref - 48/1

It's a poss and in the right county but no Isabellas in sight.

But it could have been an irregular marriage or just not recorded.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

I have this info from Inverness

I paid for a search just before I logged into rootschat

I also have James Gordon's parents Adam and Margaret Gordonno maiden name  and  no marriage date for them either

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you mean about info from Inverness, Elizabeth, or paying for a search  ???

Would you like me to have a look for the Gordons? If so what dates and places?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
I paid for a search through the Highland Archives Inverness and they sent me loads about my Mckenzie family

I was looking for My grt grandfather Adam Mckenzie
I knew from his marraige certificate his father was Alexander Mckenzie mother Jane Mackay Gordon .They sent me all the siblins of this couple 11 in all

Janes Mackay Gordons  parent were James Gordon and Margaret Sutherland M april1811 I have the siblins of this family too

I was looking for the marriage of Margarets parents John Sutherland and Isabella Campbell all I have on them  John is a farmer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 06 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

There is an extract from the OPRs on IGI for the following marriage:

JOHN SUTHERLAND  Marriages: Spouse: ISOBEL CAMPBLE    
Marriage:  02 JUL 1755  Dornoch, Sutherland, Scotland

Two things to watch out for when searching for the birth/christening details of their children:

1. Quite often only the father's details were included. There are for example a number of birth entries for Margaret Sutherlands in Sutherland with only father John Sutherland's name showing, no mother's details.

2. In a number of counties, OPRs before certain dates are not available. Have a look at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountySutherland.htm#K
This gives you some idea on dates by county for Sutherland for births/marriages.

Regards.

Monica

ADDED: I've just realised you have details of the 1755 marriage in your first post........I think I need more coffee this morning!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 September 06 11:53 BST (UK) »
Enjoy your coffee I am having mine

Yes 1755 is too early for these people to be mine
as the birth of Margaret is 1791

Elizabeth

Offline marionq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kenneth Fleming - Canada 1925-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 October 07 13:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know that Isabella and Elizabeth are interchangeable names for that time.  Look for your ancestors as John and Elizabeth/Isobel/Bella and see if it helps.