Author Topic: going off on a tangent  (Read 2156 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
going off on a tangent
« on: Saturday 02 September 06 10:19 BST (UK) »
hi all
just wondered how many others have fallen in to the same trap  ;) as me.
while researching my family, found out that g.dad,and dad were in the cameronians, looked into this.out of curiosity, result a labour of love doing a database on them, an uncle died aboard a japanese pow ship( Lisbon Maru ) in WW2. result, a memorial page on my web site for him.
how many others have ended up going off on a tangent, with the tree taking a backstage. ( must get back to it. )  ;D
would love to hear your stories.
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: going off on a tangent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

This has happened to me several times ;D

Firstly in researching my own travelling ancestry, I began collecting all references to other travellers in the vicinity just in case they were related .................. turns out most of them can be attached to the tree somehow anyway.

The other was researching family members living locally who served in WW1 and then coming across interesting snippets of other unrelated local individuals who served/died WW1 too ;D

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
Creating a FH website definitely takes you down a tangent!!!

I must spend some more time this winter getting back to my tree ::) ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
I am forever doing it

Just one little snippet of info and I end up going down that road and everyone else is forgotten until I have everything I can find. I found out that a relative of hubby's was killed at Arnhem - so the search started for his records or anything showing his death, then went on to the regiment then to the battle itself. Once satisfied I go back to the tree searching and find someone else.

I have even added in a sister of great grandmother, found her marriage and all her children and concentrated on her for a few months. Found loads of 3rd cousins and info and photos.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
glad to see it isn't only me  ;D
just found out an ancestor died in a workhouse in 1846, so guess that is my next investigation. ( all help ideas gratefully accepted  ;) )
by the way carol, a relative of mine was atarnhem also, (para engineers i think ) so maybe i will be giving you a shout for help about that also.
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Steve,
Have you been on the fepow message board on Yahoo!
This is a site run by, and for, relatives, mainly children, of far east prisoners of war. There are some 111 postings on the Lisbon Maru. The site addy is  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fepow-community

old rowley

if the above link does not work go to
www.fepow-community.org.uk where you can access the message boards
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 September 06 11:02 BST (UK) »
Steve,

You maybe interested in a new book that has just been published this year. "The sinking of the Lisbon Maru" by Tony Banham Published by The Hong Kong University Press
ISBN 9622097715

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 September 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

just found out an ancestor died in a workhouse in 1846, so guess that is my next investigation. ( all help ideas gratefully accepted 

If you are lucky enough for the records to have survived for that period for that particular workhouse and you can access them then you will be side-tracked for sure reading all the goings on there ;D

Though they make very sad reading, they are one of my favourite resources and you should, hopefully, be able to establish just when your ancestor was admitted and, possibly, why :)

The following is a good site for establishing the whereabouts of many union  workhouse records http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 September 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
Steve,

You maybe interested in a new book that has just been published this year. "The sinking of the Lisbon Maru" by Tony Banham Published by The Hong Kong University Press
ISBN 9622097715

old rowley
hi, i have in fact been in contact with the author in hong kong, supplied him with pics and details of my uncle, hopefully, a copy of his book will be forthcoming
steve