Author Topic: going off on a tangent  (Read 2155 times)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: going off on a tangent
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 September 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
hi again, will check out the group, thanks for the link,
 casalguidi, hi, will be keeping my fingers crossed, that is just the info i am after, have contacted cambridge ro, still awaiting a reply (typical )thanks for the link, will check it out
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 September 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
hi same here.Found out my grandmothers brother was killed in WW1 so had to find out about that.Then have just found out about another brother in WW1 who joined the Royal Naval Division and their records are online on the National Archives and there is so much detail about his service like where he was based and transferred to and when he was wounded etc.But all this adds to the story as a whole and helps to understand a bit more of their lives.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 September 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am always off on a tangent and not necessarily connected to my family.  Have been helping various people who have found out about my interest and had great fun helping them to trace their trees.  Can have a downside though, found out something about a dear friend's ancestry that I spent two days deciding whether to tell them.  In the end I gave them all the information and they were grateful that I had, but it was a dilema at the time.

Cathy :)
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 September 06 06:41 BST (UK) »
hi cathy,
 that can be a bit of a problem, firmly believe it is always better to tell the truth, glad it all worked out ok for you
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 September 06 18:32 BST (UK) »
I guess it depends on what you think is a tangent.  I feel that all descendants of my ancestors are part of my tree and therefore don't think that tracing their lines down is a tangent.

I found an entry in Burkes Landed Gentry (1937) for my Bankes family saying that "Roger Bankes of Weston [nr Runcorn, Cheshire] came out of Lancashire before 1694 with Richard Savage, afterwards 4th Earl Rivers....."

So I started what turned out to be some very interesting research on Richard Savage...but still haven't found out where in Lancashire Roger came out of!!

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Pam1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hello
Very interested in the discussion about Workhouses my 3xgreat grandfather according to the 1881 census was in the aston workhouse.how do we find what happened to him as he is not on the 1891 census.

many thanks
          pam

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 05:57 BST (UK) »
hi pam,
you will need to get hold of the details of his death. post his details here on rootschat, i am sure someone will find him for you. they are a helpful crowd here.
good luck
steve

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 06:00 BST (UK) »
old rowley, hi,
went to the yahoo group, you have to be invited to join, never replied to me  ???  :(
shame really, looked like it could have been helpful too.
thanks
steve

Offline Pam1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve
Thats  the problem we dont know when he died just that he was in the workhouse when they took the census.
 many thanks
    pam