Author Topic: Pwllglas?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pwllglas?
« on: Saturday 02 September 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Re-reading a service sheet for my Aunt Lizzie Hughes funeral and realised that the name of the Chapel where she was buried with her parents, my nain & taid was---Rhiw Chapel Cemetery--.[written at the bottom]

I 'googled' this name and found to my surprise that there was a Pwllglas in Denbighshire and a Pwllglas in Flintshire and also a Pwll Glas
Now i'm very muddled I've actually photographed the headstone in this cemetery and was always under the impression that i was in Pwllglas Denbighshire at the time!!

Also. when i 'googled' Rhiw Chapel without the name of Pwllglas i ended up in Efenechtyd .

If someone can explain the  Den/Flint thing ??  better still, if anyone in the area fancies a stroll along to the chapel to see if it's still there ? and the house where they lived on the opposite side of the road was called Tan Rallt ::)

Poli, for whom all things are becoming increasingly confusing nowadays ;D

Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Pwllglas?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Poli,

Have a look at the following,it may help to dispel some of your confusion.

www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Efenechtyd

I think the Flintshire Pwllglas is in/ part of Mold,which is in Flintshire.

Good luck.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, Pwllglas in Mold is a road name - I used to live on it. It was confusing - occasionally mail used to get diverted via Pwllglas Ruthin,  the village.

There are no chapels on Pwllglas Mold and I don't think there ever were. The one at the top with its side to Pwllglas is postal address High Street.  Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
Well, when i visit the chapel again in a few weeks time i shall take note of exactly where i am!!!
It's about 11 years since i was there and i want to have more of a wander round the churchyard just to see who else is staying there ;)
My last visit was a very slight disappointment as the small lane that i remembered as a child, had turned into quite a wide road. I know it's called 'progress' but i'm wary as to what changes i'll find this time?Poli.
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk