Author Topic: Treforrest  (Read 1452 times)

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Treforrest
« on: Monday 04 September 06 06:16 BST (UK) »
W hat would have been the registration district for Treforest have been in 1841 and 1851, please? I am looking for a greengrocer, surname Rees.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Treforrest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 06 09:46 BST (UK) »
It's Llantwitvairdre for both years -enumeration district 17 in 1841 and only 19 pages, district 7a in 1851 and 92 pages. Enjoy!

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Osprey. I have another question...... on the 1861 my people are at Garth Hamlet, where was that? I think it might have been Quakers Yard? R.G.9/4047 E.D.12 Piece 4047 Folio 012. In the 1871 birthplaces are given as Quather's Yard.
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 03:22 BST (UK) »
IF the lady I am looking for was born between 1840 and 1843 in Quaker's Yard, what registration district would that have been, please? I thought it might be Llanfabon but after trawling through BMD I could find nothing for Llanfabon.
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
I've tried to read the description for Llanfabon enumeration district 12 in 1861, but frankly it's not very clear. From looking at 1871, I think Garth hamlet is split between the districts and Quaker's Yard was definitely on that bit of census in 1861 - it's one of the few bits I can read for sure.

Here's where it gets confusing. Llanfabon is the parish and probably the sub-registration district, but if you're looking at the GRO index, it's the main registration district that would be shown. For Llanfabon that appears to have been Merthyr Tydfil from 1837 to 1863 and from 1/8/1863 it would have been Pontypridd, I think. If you're using FreeBmd, click on the district name and it will lead you to the list of registration districts for that county and the names of the parishes within that district. Even if you're not using it, it's worth double-checking on the districts there, and I find myself going back and fore between the two for confirmation.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 06 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips, Osprey. I think I might have found who I was looking for. I have a birth cert for Levina Ann Brannan, father Michael, Mother Ann, formerly Rees. Under father's occupation is "greengrocer". Michael was a miner on all censuses from 1861 on, so I assume that was Ann's father's occupation??? If so, then I have Ann Rees on the 1851, where father is a "victualler" at what I think is  "Bank Inn." H.O. 107/2456 p.29. On the 1841  I see the family, but can't read address or occupation. H.O. 107/1420/8 p.37.

On the 1851 there appears to be a mistranscription. "Lewis" aged 13 is Levina, Ann's sister.
On IGI i found Ann Rees christened 22 Oct 1840 Pentyrch.

Would you be able to work out an address for the 1851? Thanks again.
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 23:46 BST (UK) »
the address on the 1851 does appear to be Bank Inn and looking back on previous pages, it looks like Dihewid Colliery but I haven't found a reference to it. The address in 1841 looks like Brin(Bryn) Curbish, again I can't find a reference and as for the occupation...    I think it starts with an 's' and possibly ends with an 'm'. The writing is a wonderful looking copperplate but I have my doubts about some of the spelling.
The occupation on a birth cert should be that of the baby's father, not the grandfather, so perhaps this isn't the correct family? Victualler goes with running an inn, but a greengrocer isn't the same thing.  It's known that people exaggerated occupations on certs but greengrocer instead of miner doesn't seem entirely likely either.