Author Topic: We are the Chosen by unknown  (Read 8899 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: We are the Chosen by unknown
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 July 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing that Audrey....

I have printed it out too - and will put a copy inside my own family history file....
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 July 05 12:21 BST (UK) »
I have this in a nice frame above my desk and every time I get fed up and feel like packing it in it reminds me of why I started all this
I am glad its giving you all inspiration

audrey

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
I love that poem and have heard it somehwre else as well. I copied it and put it on my family discs (with Anon as author)

Really makes you think about why we do this

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 23:16 BST (UK) »
I'm glad that you posted a message on this board about this poem Carol and brought it to my attention (after the last message being almost a year ago). Think it is brilliant. Would never have found it if you hadn't posted on this today!
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
Always check the old posts GTD - never know what you might find of interest to you or others you know

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 June 06 07:46 BST (UK) »
Carol,funny you should say that,a Carol Burns,journalist,did an article on a (Dr?)Prendergast,of Liverpool I think.Some time ago.

Any connection"?
                         Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 June 06 10:03 BST (UK) »
No relation Goggy though I sometimes wish there was - might be able to give me a few pointers

Have heard of her though and found that she pops up in google when I type my name in

Carol

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 July 06 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,

I missed this one in July 2005! but glad that it's come up again and how true.     

When you find an ancestor you always feel that you know them and in some ways they are there helping you to find the next link (maybe I am a bit dotty) I quite often feel that I am not alone when doing research. 

When a relative died two years ago we were at the bedside and I felt we were not alone.  Days later I found a birth that I had been searching for.

I will also print this off and put it above my computer.

Matty ;D
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 02 July 06 08:45 BST (UK) »
I am also very grateful that this thread was recently replied to, which has enabled those of us who joined Rootschat after the original posting to see this wonderful poem.

When I started my research into my paternal family (New York, USA) just under two years ago, I made a request on a lookup board. At that time I didn't even know the names of my Grandparents and a wonderful lady who found my family in the 1930 census wrote some wonderful words of encouragement on my quest. I printed out her message, which is on the wall beside my computer and during the hard times in my search, her words have been an inspiration.

Here is one of the sentences which is most relevant to this thread.

It is said that in every generation someone is 'touched' with the responsibility (I think its an honor) of preserving the real family history. Seems you have been chosen for the gift. Enjoy the journey. Thanks to them, you are here!

Once again, Thank you

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England