Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are, Series 3 is coming !  (Read 15064 times)

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are series 3
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 August 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
Anyone else seen this in the online version of "Your Family Tree"?

Who Do You Think You Are? is back

As the nights draw in for autumn again, the first week of September offers particular delights for family historians. The third series of Who Do You Think You Are? starts at 9pm on BBC1 on Wednesday 6th. It promises, in the words of the show’s genealogist Jenny Thomas, “a lively bunch of ancestors”.

“This series, like the last, is essentially a history series,” Jenny told Your Family Tree. “It is not the names and the dates that matter, but the social context – the times that these people were living through, and what they made of them. The celebrity is a route for the viewer into the past.”

The celebrities in question, in likely order of broadcast at the time of going to press (but do check the TV listings), are actors Barbara Windsor, Robert Lindsay and David Tennant, athlete Colin Jackson, actors Julia Sawalha and Jeremy Irons, kitchen goddess Nigella Lawson, and antiques expert David Dickinson.

With average viewing figures of 4.7 million for the first series and 5.6 million for the second, the BBC has moved the third series to an even more prestigious slot on BBC1. Unsurprisingly, Barbara Windsor’s roots lie firmly in the east end of London. Her programme explores the life of her grandfather Charlie Ellis on the docks and her grandmother’s time as a chorus girl – though a surprise line from Ireland is also discovered.

Robert Lindsay (real surname Stevenson), star of Citizen Smith, My Family and Jericho, meanwhile hails from Derbyshire. He learns about the harsh life of his family both at home and away during World War I.

Julia Sawalha’s lineage is a more exotic mix of silk-weaving Huguenots on her mother’s side and Jordanian Bedouins on her father’s: in the programme she learns about her grandmother’s celebrity status in Jordan, and visits a Bedouin camp.

There’s much more, of course, including a quest for Irish roots for Jeremy Irons, Nigella’s Jewish heritage (including running from a jail sentence) and David Dickinson’s intriguing Armenian origins. Tune in for the full stories!

One advantage to the approach of autumn....... :D

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 August 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Absolutely, I'm almost looking forward to the dark cold evenings!

Kerry  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 August 06 22:40 BST (UK) »

I can't wait for the next series....perhaps the arrival of Autumn/Winter isn't so bad afterall :D

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 August 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
Glad I've just sent for a large batch of certs.  (Should be here Monday or Tuesday, yippee!!)

Though this month's 1837online newsletter does have a quote from someone at GRO saying they're already planning ahead for when the new series of WDYTYA starts.......looks like they've finally cottoned on.  ;D

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 August 06 22:56 BST (UK) »
Lor' you've said it, Sally. better send for everything I can afford before the GRO grinds to an almost halt again.
Still, looks like a merry bunch, should be interesting.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 August 06 07:39 BST (UK) »
Sally

I will believe that when I see it.  Better get my order in now!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 20 August 06 10:26 BST (UK) »
Looks like a really interesting mix of people. Cant wait to tell my kids that the TV will be out of bounds for what they call `Mums genealogy night` I am anticipating the groans already.

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:32 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to seeing this programme again.  Good Autumn viewing.

;D ;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 25 August 06 13:45 BST (UK) »
Wonderful. I can't wait   ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk