Author Topic: William Hancock  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Hancock
« on: Monday 04 September 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
I am working on my husband's tree here-and need to know IF William Hancock that came to Birmingham,died in same place c1889,builder's foreman,was married in Ireland-OR England.Cannot seem to find anything-it would be late 1860s/early 1870s.I know there are relatives in Dublin-as a book I have read states that they attended the wedding of William's son John(aka Jack)in Birmingham.Would be glad of help please.Jean
Haram-all spellings-Anywhere.Stephens/Stevens -Bethnal Green.Jordan/Jordain-Hull/Brixham .Grundy-Liverpool area/Hull.Wade-Northants/Bucks.Swale-Halifax /Hull.Culpan-Halifax area.Emmerson-Yorkshire/Canada.Leng-Yorkshire.Gibbon-Yorkshire/Canada.stuff::)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: William Hancock
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jean,

These are the only people named Hancock who appear in the extracts of Griffith's Valuation which took place in Dublin in 1848-51.

Martha Hancock, Marlborough Street, St. Thomas, Dublin
Mrs **? Hancock, Sandymount, Newgrove Avenue, Donnybrook, Dublin

There were not many people with that surname in Ireland at during the years when the Valuation was taking place 1848 to 1864 ... twenty four families and seventeen of those were in the northern counties.

Christopher

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
hello jean, do you know his wifes name, even her first name.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 07 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help BUT I have information that links the Hancock family with Ilfracombe-so WHO the family were that attended John's marriage in Birmingham-travelling from Ireland-I really do not know-or even IF they were Hancock.Thank you .Jeano
Haram-all spellings-Anywhere.Stephens/Stevens -Bethnal Green.Jordan/Jordain-Hull/Brixham .Grundy-Liverpool area/Hull.Wade-Northants/Bucks.Swale-Halifax /Hull.Culpan-Halifax area.Emmerson-Yorkshire/Canada.Leng-Yorkshire.Gibbon-Yorkshire/Canada.stuff::)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 07 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jeano,

Does that mean you've found where William Hancock married ???

The 1852 Directory of Belfast and Province of Ulster lists four people named Hancock in Belfast ...

John Hancock & Co., estate agents, 12, Wellington Place
Miss Hancock, 103, North Queen Street
Mrs Hancock, 12, Wellington Place
W. Neilson Hancock, LL.D., barrister at law,
Professor of Political Economy and Jurisprudence at Queen's College, 12, Wellington Place.

Shaw's 1850 Dublin Directory lists ...

Hancock.
From the Law Directory (not listed at stated address)
William Neilson, 42 Trinity College (Professor of Political Economy, barrister - Michaelmas term 1844)

I'm sure William had a residence in both Belfast and Dublin and conducted his business in both cities.

Christopher

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 07 16:26 BST (UK) »
No Christopher-it just means that somewhere I am on the wrong track-confused by the guests at the wedding.Thanks,Jeano