Author Topic: 1871 1881 Clonmel Census Request McCarthy/Scott - Tipperary  (Read 6135 times)

Offline julian57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thank you for any replies
    • View Profile
1871 1881 Clonmel Census Request McCarthy/Scott - Tipperary
« on: Monday 16 February 04 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is a longshot but would be very grateful for anyone being able to look in a census for John (joannis) McCarthy and wife Mary (nee Mulcahy) with sons James (Jacobus) (brn 1864) and William (1874) in Clonmel (Tipperary) 1871 and or 1881

I have James marrying Margaret (Margarita) Scott  in Clonmel in 1885  and her parents were Phillip (Phillippi) and Joan (Joanna) but have no idea where to go from there.

On the marriage form I also have Patrick (Patritius) McCarthy who may be a brother of James and Anastasia McCarthy both residing in Clonmel.

Thankyou to anyone who can check for me.

Julian  
McCarthy family (from Bruff, Rathkeale, Limerick, Clonmel and London St Pancras and Hammersmith)
Mulcahy family (Bruff and Rathkeale)
Roper (Docking, Norfolk)
Roser (Chiddingly, Sussex)
Cowley (Fairford, Glos)
Keer (Suffolk)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:1871 1881 Clonmel Census Request McCarthy/Scott
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 04 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry,

At present we do not have any volunteers offering lookups on the resources you requested.  We will let you know as soon as the information becomes available,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 1881 Clonmel Census Request McCarthy/Scott - Tipperary
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Census Records

Full government censuses were taken of the whole island in 1821, 1831, 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 1901, and 1911. The first four, for 1821, 1831, 1841, and 1851, were largely destroyed in 1922, in the fire at the Public Record Office; surviving fragments are detailed under the county source-lists. Those for 1861 1871 1881 and 1891 were completely destroyed earlier, by order of the government.

This means that the earliest surviving comprehensive returns are for 1901 and 1911. Because of this, the normal rule that census returns should not be available to the public for 100 years has been suspended in the Republic of Ireland, and the original returns can be consulted in the National Archives.

A full microfilm copy of the 1901 census is available at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Indexes, published or database, are available for the 1901 returns of some counties; these are noted under the relevant county. Copies of the 1901 returns for the six counties now in Northern Ireland are available at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/records/census/