Author Topic: CHARLICK Family  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
CHARLICK Family
« on: Tuesday 05 September 06 18:23 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any connection with the following family? or know where these Charlicks came from

John Charlick married Mary Ann Wills 13 Oct 1814
Children of John Charlick (occ:Rope Maker) & Mary Ann
John bapt 2 May 1819 (abode:Gasking St)
Robert Henry 8 Jun 1823 (Exeter Street)
William Wills Charlick 3 Feb 1815 (Plymouth)
Elizabeth 25 Apr 1823 (Plymouth) -daughter of John Charlick (occ;Rope Maker;deceased) & Mary Ann
thanks
Sonia

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLICK Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia, I was wondering if your John Charlick & family were related to mine in Plymouth, perhaps your John was my Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandaddy!!
 My Gt. Gt.Grandfather was John Charlick born Plymouth 1819. He married a Mary Ann England in 1849, and lived at Pins Lane. Plymouth all of his life. He was a waterman (sea)as were most of his sons..
I would be interested to know where you got your info from, as I cannot get any further back than my Gt Gt. John Charlick..
 If you would like to contact me and share any details , i'd be delighted to hear from you.. Regards Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 06 02:58 BST (UK) »
My Gt. Gt.Grandfather was John Charlick born Plymouth 1819. He married a Mary Ann England in 1849, and lived at Pins Lane. Plymouth all of his life. He was a waterman (sea)as were most of his sons..
Regards Dolly.

You sure about Pins Lane, Dolly??  ;D
The 1851 census says John Charlick,  (Age 32 & waterman) wife Mary Ann and 1 year old son William were living at 35 New Street in Plymouth. :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 06 03:27 BST (UK) »
Sonia,

The 1851 census says there is a John Charlick (bn 1798 Ag Lab) married to Sarah, with sons Robert (age 22) & William (age 20) living in Plympton St Mary, Newton Ferrers - all born in Newton Ferrers.

The 1841 lists 34 Charlicks in Devon. Mos of them are in the Plymouth/Newton Ferrers area.

The two main families are as follows, with several others off working at various other households.  One person is in Gaol (Devon County House of Correction) in St David, Exeter. In 1841 - ages over 15 were rounded down.

First household
John aged 40, Sarah 45, William 10, Ann 6, John 4

Second household
Robert  50, Ann 45, William 15,  John 13, Elizabeth 12, Mary 10.

Everyone born in Devon, and everyone living in a place (road?) called SORR.

Hope this is helpful. :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 06 22:53 BST (UK) »
Of course BD, your right . I stand corrected!!

I also do not have my John Charlick on the 1841 census, so it could be safe to say that he may not have been born in Plymouth..
                  On with the dig. Thank's tho'. Dolly. 

Offline Sonia Gardener

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 September 06 13:57 BST (UK) »
just back off hols to this wonderful information.  Dolly - John Charlick and Mary Ann Wills had children John born 1819 Charles Plymouth, Robert Henry born 1823 Charles plymouth, and William Wills born 1815 in Plymouth. 
My husband Paul descends from John son of John and Mary Ann England via their son William E born 1849 in St Andrew who married Jane Dart.
The marriage of John in 1814 came from another researcher who says it was from the Devon FHS Deanery of Three Towns CD which I believe covers East Stonehouse, Pennycross, Plymouth Charles and St Andrew, St Budeaux and Stoke Damerel. Unfortunately I do not know which of these the marriage took place in.

Incidently in 1881 they were living in 1 Pins Lane.

Thank you BD for the 1841 and 1851 census info - clues to follow.
In 1841 is Mary Ann Charlick shown as a widow anywhere? I believe John to be deceased at that time.

thanks both of you
Sonia

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 06 20:20 BST (UK) »
Sonia, many thank's for your further info on John Charlick. I thought that there must have been 2 Charlick families in Plymouth, but it seems that they were all one & the same!  My line comes from the son of John & Mary (England) Frederick George Charlick, who married Susannah Williams, (a nightmare, trying to sift through all the Williams) so it looks as tho' your hubby & I are "Genes connected". My mothers' mother was Blanche Susan Charlick,( dau of Frederick & Susannah) she married David Brash in Devon where my mother was born in 1910. They moved up North here,when my Mother was about 9, where Blanche Susan died aged only 37, in 1922..    Regards Dolly. 

Offline Viv Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 November 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Sonia, many thank's for your further info on John Charlick. I thought that there must have been 2 Charlick families in Plymouth, but it seems that they were all one & the same!  My line comes from the son of John & Mary (England) Frederick George Charlick, who married Susannah Williams, (a nightmare, trying to sift through all the Williams) so it looks as tho' your hubby & I are "Genes connected". My mothers' mother was Blanche Susan Charlick,( dau of Frederick & Susannah) she married David Brash in Devon where my mother was born in 1910. They moved up North here,when my Mother was about 9, where Blanche Susan died aged only 37, in 1922..    Regards Dolly.
Dolly, I have been researching my sister-in-law's family. She is also descended from Frederick George Charlick and Susannah Williams, through their son Frederick George Charlick, who was her grandfather. I too have drawn a blank on Susannah Williams. Did you ever manage to find out any more about her? Regards Viv