Author Topic: Any idea what this certificate was for?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad 10/2/1913 - 23/7/2008
    • View Profile
Any idea what this certificate was for?
« on: Wednesday 06 September 06 17:17 BST (UK) »
 ??? This is the only item of my great grandma's that we posess.

We would love to know what she was given it for. 

Would it have been school / Sunday school?

Thanks.
BARTRAM - Leics / London  /  SELBY - Nottingham / Leicestershire  /  FLETCHER - Walton / Burton on the Wolds / Leicester  / MERRALL / MERRILL - Leicester / Australia NSW  /  TOMKINS - Leicester / PURDY - Langley Mills, Derbys / BIRTCHNELL - Leics / Ipswich / BOYER - Markfield, Woodhouse, Swithland, Leics  /  WELLS - Leicester /  MARSTON Derbys / Leics / WARD Shepshed / Leics / BLACK Loughborough / Leicester

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea what this certificate was for?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Fek33

I would say that it is a school certificate and I think first standard was the equivalent of first grade (infants or the equivalent of obtaining first grade standard) .................... I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Would this correspond with her age at that date ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
A lovely certificate. It looks like a school certificate to me as well as it mentions "Standard One." I think school classes were organised into "standards" rather than age groups and you had to pass your "standard" exam before you could move up to the next level.

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
 :) Many thanks.

In 1892 she would have been 7 years old.  So that would correspond. 

Was the School actually called St Saviours and is it still there today, does anyone know?

BARTRAM - Leics / London  /  SELBY - Nottingham / Leicestershire  /  FLETCHER - Walton / Burton on the Wolds / Leicester  / MERRALL / MERRILL - Leicester / Australia NSW  /  TOMKINS - Leicester / PURDY - Langley Mills, Derbys / BIRTCHNELL - Leics / Ipswich / BOYER - Markfield, Woodhouse, Swithland, Leics  /  WELLS - Leicester /  MARSTON Derbys / Leics / WARD Shepshed / Leics / BLACK Loughborough / Leicester

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 September 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

There were 3 parishes called St Saviours

St Saviour Auckley Built 1838 Built as a chapel of ease to Finningley parish
St Saviour East Retford Built 1829 Originally a chapel of ease to Clarborough, was created a parish in 1934 and is now classed as East Retford
St Saviour Nottingham, Arkwright St Built 1864 Formed as a parish in 1865 out of St Mary's parish

Where did she live?

Jane

Info from Nottm Church Database.
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 06 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, she was shown on the 1891 Nottingham, St Mary, St Saviour Census
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of
this issue.

as living at 7 Orange Street, (Hague Terrrace??).

Also, do you don't happen to know if the street still exists do you?

Thanks FEK  :)

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 September 06 07:51 BST (UK) »
 :-[ Whoops! How embarrassing,  I am sorry about the Copyright violation - I didn't realise!

I am pretty new to this and still learning!

Once again, sorry!

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 06 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

St Saviours is in the Meadows area of Nottingham. If you do not know Nottingham the closest famous places are the football clubs of Nottm Forest, Notts County and Trent Bridge Cricket Ground all within a stones throw. St Saviours church still survives, see link below.

http://beehive.thisisnottingham.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=11562

The Meadows area was terraced houses and was blitzed in the 1970s? Inner city clearance knocked alot of it down and built new housing. I doubt that Orange Street survived. There are still some terraces that survived but I cannot find Orange St in Nottm.

As in many cities when your great grandma was around the Meadows were probably a new development and a good place to live. Unfortunately it is now undesirable despite the clearance and housing projects of the 60s and 70s. Drugs and associated crime are rife. Please do not let this bother you as I have relatives that lived in decent places in their time that I would not want to live in now.

If you need further help please send me a PM. I have not been able to go to the archives recently but have annual leave soon and should be able to get there. I assume you are not local.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Thanks for the information.  I will probably visit the archives myself one day.  I do live in Leicestershire, but don't know the Nottingham area very well.

Thanks for letting me know about the church.  Has the school been demolished do you know?

Thanks again  :)