Author Topic: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.  (Read 54905 times)

Offline six-h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Yes i am still hanging in here, your dad interviewed me for my apprenticeship at Churchill's, and my brother before me.
I've not yet found the slides, but came across this photo taken I think outside Churchill's Training School.
That's Syd's beloved Red Corsair they are leaning on, so it was after 1964, do you recognise anyone?

Offline Darkmyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, far left that's my Brother Harold or Harry as some called him. I have the same photo as well lol

Offline six-h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 23 April 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, far left that's my Brother Harold or Harry as some called him. I have the same photo as well lol
Wow! that was quick lol
Sorry it's one you've already got!
Can you hazzard a more accurate guess at the date?
I've found a whole load of old photo's God knows who most of 'em are of, but they don't 'arf pen and ink!

Offline Darkmyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
As far as i can remember, I left school in July 1971 and started at Churchill's from school. It was summer 1970. My Brother is 12 months older than me and he started 12 months before me, so it must be 1970. Hope that helps.  ;)

Offline six-h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks, quite a bit later than I thought!
Found the slides but might be a while scanning them!
Meanwhile, found 4 snaps but having problems uploading, the first attachment always just disappears when I click on "Submit" and nothing else happens.
I'll try Pixentral.

Offline warbirdali

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I was searching the web for Record co. and found this thread. My grandfather Patrick Byrne worked at "the Record" in the late 30s up until he joined the RAF. He met his wife Doris (Lynch) there and they married. A lot of his wartime letters ask about people who worked at Record with him and Doris, and mention the work there. His plane went down in Germany Nov. 1944, Doris passed away in the mid 1970s.  I know some of out neighbors in Timperley worked there too (Charlie Sutherland) Strangely web searched don't pull up any photos of the place other than the ones posted here, you would think there would be a factory photo or something! I am pretty sure anyone who was there in the early 40s has since passed away. Like others here I remember hearing the hooter going off at 7am (I think) and lunchtimes, probably at knocking off time too but I don't remember that. I grew up in Timperley 1962 up till 1987 then moved to Memphis, Tennessee. If anyone knows where I can find records (scuse the pun) of employees it would be nice, I have emailed the modern Record Electrical Co to see if they have anything but probably one of those things that got thrown away. Is the building still there? I was in Alty last summer and went to Halfords and to Mothercare in the industrial park.  Thanks everyone!

Offline horsfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I left school in'64 and went straight into the 'ATD' at George Richards. When let loose in to the factory, I was installed in the horizontal boring section, run by a True Gent by the name of Alec Ellis. When the hammer fell in '67, I (still being an apprentice) was supposed to move over into the Kearns factory, but I left then and started at the Churchill Machine Tool Co. I stayed until late '69 when I  went to Kearns and finished my apprenticeship. In 1973, The Ingersoll-Rand company had moved into the old 'Metropolitan-vickers transformer plant in Baguley. I mention this because it's workforce comprised mostly of ex-Broadheath engineers that moved on from the joining of Richards and Kearns in '67. I joined Ingersoll-Rand in '75, and over the next few years with the not so gradual winding down of the activites in Broadheath the shopfloor at I-R was a mix of Richards,Kearns, Churchill and Linotype. 45 years on, still Horizontal Boring and working with an ex-Kearns Borer . I've remembered a few names from the past, (in no particular order) -: Jimmy Eccles, Cliff Binder, Neville Thomason (stubbins!) Horace Heale, Ned Brownhill, Ken Pearson, Ken Naylor, Vic Youle,Ronnie Thomason, Fred Matley To name A few as they say......

Offline horsfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 01:57 GMT (UK) »
I also served an apprenticeship at richards from 1961 to 1966 in the horizontal boreing bay.I remember Alic Ellis and Horice,also Kenny Limb,Bill Stott,Kenny Pearson,Andrew Posniac,Alan Wardle and Dave Horsfield

Offline twainwright

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I wonder if anyone remembers a Peter Barnes who worked at George Richards, he worked with a Tommy Watson. Not sure when but am guessing at 1930/40's onwards.  Peter is a long lost relative and I would dearly love to have news of him or his family. 

My grandad George Barnes used to live in Timperley, he had links to Churchills in Atlantic St through the firm Drummond Bros in Guildford, and has many rellies still living in the Altrincham area.

many thanks.