Author Topic: Lochmaben MIs  (Read 2238 times)

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Lochmaben MIs
« on: Thursday 07 September 06 10:44 BST (UK) »
I found an MI for my gggg grandmother who died in 1845 in a book of MIs for Lochmaben that was published in the late 1960s. The entry noted that there were post 1855 inscriptions on the stone. I was wondering if anybody knew of a newer book/internet source that may include the post 1855 inscriptions. I know that the main focus for MIs is those before statuatory registration as often the only source to find a death. The Lanarkshire FHS has started a new range of booklets that include post 1855 MIs and was wondering if there something similar in Dumfries.

I think I know most of the deaths that would be on the stone but was wondering if anything else would be on there that I don't know of.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben MIs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 06 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

I know that the D & G FHS are re-doing the Dumfriesshire MIs. It might be worth enquiring of them. I helped with the new transcriptions on one of them last year.

Gadget

PS - the post 1855 inscriptions would be included if it was a pre-1855 stone. It's just the new stonesthat aren't transcribed.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Gadget. Had a look at the list of publications on the DGFHS website but didn't see Lochmaben. Will contact them as even if Lochmaben is way down their list of  graveyards may happen before I would be in the area.
The entry I have said "Post 1855 inscriptions....." but didn't list them in the entry that I have. It is a pre 1855 stone.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 06 15:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you're a member Gordon - it's worth it. Magazines, etc. But also, they will do look ups within reason for members and they do have many unpublished sources.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 September 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Not a member of the Dumfries and Galloway FHS although think that I might as do have a couple of lines there. Most of research is in Lanarkshire and areas covered by the Glasgow and West of Scotland FHS so joined them.

Gordon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Think it would be well worth while, Gordon. It's not very much for a year's sub. and themembers are very friendly  :)  :)  :)

I had a major breakthrough early on on one of my KKD lines when I was flicking through one of their journals - it had a piece on the death of my 3 x great grandfather. It was one of those yippee moments  :D

If you join late on in the year, they send you all the journals and, as I said, you can request look-ups within reason.

Gadget

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Just saw your post.

As I live near to Lochmaben, I will happily photograph the said grave if you wish.  Who is the grave of? And, is it in the new cemetery or the old one? 

Either message me or reply here if you wish.

best wishes,

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 06 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Just some further info regarding the 1841 Census for the Lochamben Landward area (Hightae Village) for you (not sure if you have this or not).

I have a record of a Jean Telford aged 16 living in Hightae Village along with her sister, Isabel (aged 19) - Enumeration Code is Hightae Village 77.

Interestingly, John Douglas is aged 15 (born in England) living along with his younger brother Thomas (aged 9), his younger sister, Margaret (aged 12) and parents Sarah (aged 35) and Robert (aged 35) - all born in England.  This family lived at a property with teh Enumeration Code Hightae Village 66.

The Douglas' and the Telfords lived very near each other !

The cemetery searches will have to wait until next year.

I hope this information reaches you in good health and that you enjoy a wonderful Christmas.

Best wishes,
Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 December 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the census info. had found the douglas family on the census but hadn't noticed those telfords. not sure if they are connected at all but will keep that family in mind. thanks again for the offer to photgraph the grave.

Hope you have a fantastic Christmas :)

Gordon