Author Topic: Victorian Bethnal Green / Shoreditch COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 4171 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Victorian Bethnal Green / Shoreditch COMPLETED THANKS
« on: Thursday 07 September 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Last night I watched Barbara Windsor on "Who do you think you are", finding her East London roots.

Apart from being irritated at the fact that certificates will now take weeks rather than days to arrive and all the genealogy sites will be busier than ever, I have to admit that I found the programme extremely enlightening.

I have been researching my partner's family and many of them were also born in the Bethnal Green / Shoreditch areas. In my ignorance where Victorian London is concerned, I thought that people with a trade or a skill would not be living in such horrific conditions as we saw last night. Am I totally wrong on this. The men in my partner's family were employed as plasterers, picture frame makers, walking stick makers, rug makers, bricklayers, amongst other things. Did these jobs give them a living of any sort?

They lived in Totty ( Tolly ?) Street, Carlisle Street, Wennington Road, Longnor Road, West Street,Turville Street amongst other places. Were these as desperately poor as I now think they were?

Were Mile End Old and New Towns as poor as Bethnal Green and, if so, how did someone from there manage to have an education which gave him the chance to be a banker's clerk and later to be a resident caretaker in Threadneedle Street?

Social history ( and Geography) lesson needed please.

Thanks,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Bethnal Green / Shoreditch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

You could try this and subsequent postings for a start:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,160707.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Bethnal Green / Shoreditch
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
You can also try the Charles Booth poverty map which was mentioned on the programme at

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s9/

You can find any streets you know the name of and find the level of poverty.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....