Author Topic: Mutiny on GenesReunited?  (Read 12166 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mutiny on GenesReunited?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 September 06 14:35 BST (UK) »
I was going to say Rick and you beat me to it!

What price good manners - it's free on Rootschat!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 September 06 15:20 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone,
           Since I was on the spot during the GR mutiny so to speak, I just wanted to have my say.  :)
        Firstly I have to say that the more genealogy sites on the net there are, the better, as it means more chance of finding an obscure rellie  ;D
      I think each site has its own particular flavour and its own strong points .
  For instance I spend much time here on wonderful Rootschat and have found out loads. from knowledgeable and helpful folk.
    Meanwhile I looked in quite a lot on GR and got some good contacts about my family tree which have also been invaluable.
       I have gained from their message boards too -- there were a core of regulars who knew their subject inside out and could come back with a point of information at the drop of the hat. They did this in a rather more  informal atmosphere than prevails here, it is true, and there was a great deal of cheerful mayhem going on.
        The trouble started when a certain element began to take exception to this, going as far as setting up  websites specifically to name and humiliate the people they objected to. They also posted malicious messages, and reported anyone who took exception to their rancour to the GR management, getting many of the people who contributed most to the site banned.
     It was because these people were banned without chance of appeal, while the troublemakers remained, that the mutiny started. Polite emails did no good. Phone calls did no good.  The attitude was that the matter would not be discussed. Thus the members in question, and their friends, saw their run of postings as the only way to get the management to listen to them.   
       Finally, over five hundred of their members voted with their feet.
       This sort of thing could never happen here, because the people who run it do so for the sake of their members. They are accessible and fair. No one feels they have been unfairly treated or regarded as a cash cow.
         I just wanted to try to set the record straight, especially in view of that top of the board message from the GR management which didn't give a full picture of the situation and was therefore somewhat misleading
                    Hope you will all read this in the spirit it was written, respectful and conciliatory  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 September 06 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just had a contact yesterday from GR from somebody related to me, all very nice and friendly, I have also made contact with quite a few other people on there in the past who have also been really friendly to chat to including a lovely lady from Canada who gave me new information on one of my lines going back to the 1600's that I didn't know about, there has been a bit of negative with all this good though in that there have been quite a few people on there who I've tried to contact who just haven't answered me back, I wouldn't do this as I think it is only sociable more than anything to contact people back who have made the effort to try and contact you.

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 September 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
Gosh Jane, sounds like a lot of argy-bargy was going on  ??? :-\

I haven't used the message boards on GR - wish I had now and also wish that they hadn't been suspended, after the day I've just had  I could just do with a good argument  :-\ ;).

On a serious note though, what a shame for the serious genealogists.  As usual it sounds like the minority have spoiled things for the majority.

I don't know where these idiots come from? 

'humiliate people and send malicious messages' - what on earth is all that about ??? ??? ??? ??? >:(

Glad you and the rest of the 5 hundred have taken a stand - good for you  8)
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:10 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone,
           Since I was on the spot during the GR mutiny so to speak, I just wanted to have my say.  :)

Hi Jane

I hoped someone would turn up who knew more about what actually happened than me. I picked it up at a time when the boards were in a complete frenzy, and it wasn't too easy to piece together what had happened.

I'd never posted on the site, but I used to visit the Tips board regularly. As you say, there were people on there with an encyclopedic knowledge of certain topics, and there was a huge amount of general information available for beginners. From what I've seen of the boards today, it does look as if much of the useful information is still there - presumably because members have left, rather than being banned.

The way GR have handled the situation hasn't done them any favours. The long-standing members of the site (ex-members now I suppose)  have been literally begging GR to introduce some form of moderation for ages. The fact that GR allowed no new posts without moderation for three days shows that they could do it if they wanted to do. Sadly, GR make it quite clear that once members have paid their membership, any interest on GR's part ends.

As a site for making contacts, I think it's always going to be pure luck whether you get a dozen contacts or none. Now the real enthusiasts have gone, I think GR will find they've ended up with a site which is just another chat forum with a few vague connections to family history. Can't see me going back there much somehow.I'll stick with Rootschat.

Silvilocks

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have been a fully paid member of GR for about 2 years now, in fact just repaid at the beginning of this month.  When I started I put up some messages on various surname boards, I had one answer to my Baldwin request for info from Gary who is on here, he told me to try Rootschat and I've been here ever since.  I've never had any other answer to those messages.

However what I do find useful is the contacts I have had through the members of the my tree and as annoying as they are, the hotmatches.

Nothing beats Rootschat where you can post a question that has been puzzling for weeks and within 10 minutes sometimes you have an answer and you don't have to pay!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
I've just had a scroll through the recent messages on GR

Can anyone tell me what a 'WUM' is?????? :-\
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
From my own point of view, although it will never equal our lovely Rootschat I have found Genes very useful.

I have never posted on the boards but have found several  relatives through them., two of whom I have become firm friends with, another one to talk to tonight for the first time.
I find building the family trees very confusing so I have not got very far with mine.

Patrish.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
I've just had a scroll through the recent messages on GR

Can anyone tell me what a 'WUM' is?????? :-\

Weasel upto mischief  ???

What context was it used in? It's a new one on me!

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk