Author Topic: Mutiny on GenesReunited?  (Read 12159 times)

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
Re: Mutiny on GenesReunited?
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Well, that's a new approach, Springbok. I've never thought of doing it like that.
Frankly, my lot are all Smith (why me why Smith?) Baker, Moore and Webb. I had no idea that there were so many people with those names. I mean, Smith you expect, but I was surprised with the Moores. I do wish they could date check them as well as name, it would be a lot more helpful, or at least get them in the right country. Thomas Smith (the cess pit man) would have been jolly clever to have been born in Portsea at the same time as he was being born in Canada.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
Regarding the got matches, I only have my direct line on Genes. Deleted cousins, husbands/wives etc. I was getting contacts from people who had such a slight connection. Keep my full tree on Triblepages.   helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 08:06 BST (UK) »
Well for all the problems on GR, whatever they may be and I really don't want to know, sometimes contacts come up trumps.  I contacted a lady yesterday who seemed to have a name that matched one on my tree and she confirmed a theory of mine.   ;D ;D

Good for GR - sometimes!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline annieRN

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 08:38 BST (UK) »
A useful tip for hotmatches for a name like Smith is to add a graphics character after the name it defeats the system.  Having said that they do work sometimes.  I also  keep the ones that match or are in the right area and see if any more are added.  It is worth noting that ignored matches also add up so if you are very very bored you can look to see if you missed a distant match.

Genes does seem to have settled down now.  They have just added the 1851 census to their records.

Anne
Somerset:  Blacker, Wilton, Withers, Cox, Cleverley and Cavill
Gloucestershire: Horne

Offline Terance Jonathan Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
May i add i have been a member of GU for a year and a third of my tree from Tamworth was discovered there.
They have a very good tree builder which is simple to use and as such i can't knock it.
All that said did i say i love Rootschat to any-one fancy a pint in the three Barrels by the TA in Bury ??.
Harp Oakes,Croshaw,Payne,