Author Topic: Mutiny on GenesReunited?  (Read 12158 times)

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mutiny on GenesReunited?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 September 06 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all

The situation on GR, is that a long-time member who did a huge amount to help adoptees trace family was given a permanent ban a few days ago, following accusations of bullying by a comparatively new member. (I have no idea of the rights and wrongs of that one - wasn't around when it originally blew up). Once the ban became known about, a huge number of other members more or less took over the boards, literally bombarding all message boards with hundreds of posts demanding that GR review the situation. GR finally shut the boards to new posts (Wednesday night?) and I gather there's been bans handed out all round to the members organizing the protest.

No idea when it will be up and running again - or how useable it will be when it is. There were several messages from people who didn't want to get involved trying to use the boards for genealogical research, but the protestors wouldn't allow it and took over all their  threads!

Can't imagine it ever happening here somehow  :)

Silvilocks
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 September 06 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Silvilocks,

I came back from hols this week & when I logged onto GR was shocked to see the boards were suspended!! Thanks for the explanation! I think I know which member you are talking about!

I reckon that when it's up & running again a lot of members will have left!

gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 06 07:46 BST (UK) »
No Silvilocks

It wouldn't happen here because as Suttontrust says we have moderators who would be quick to jump on that sort of behaviour.  I am sure that is why RC stays such a friendly place and the best board I have ever chatted on!

I was looking at another one the other day (not geneaological) and there was this one character who commented on every other message, basically not answering but bullying and harrassing people.  A newbie came on and asked a question and the answer the newbie got was so insulting and horrible.  I counted a line of 15 rude answers from this person.  Thankfully that would just never be allowed here :) 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 September 06 08:12 BST (UK) »
No Silvilocks

It wouldn't happen here because as Suttontrust says we have moderators who would be quick to jump on that sort of behaviour.  I am sure that is why RC stays such a friendly place and the best board I have ever chatted on!

That's true and I'm all in favour of moderators. But I've never known a board that only seems to attract pleasant, friendly and helpful people the way this one does. I don't know how much difference it makes having the registration procedure in place where email addresses have to be verified, but it does seem that RC doesn't attract nutters the way the other sites do.

Well, not the nasty, vicious, bullying, spiteful type of nutters anyway - just the nicely nutty ones  ;D

Sorry, back on topic. I was going to say that if anyone has an interest on any long running tips threads on GR, it would be an idea to copy and paste any info you'd like to keep. As members are banned, any useful info they've posted will be deleted  ::)

Silvilocks

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 06 09:18 BST (UK) »
I belong to a small privately run website, there are at least four global "moderators". We do not discuss religion or politics and if someone is rude or abusive to another member, they are barred from the site.  They review the situation periodically and they may be re in stated provided they comply with the rules, this had happend to a guy in Holland,  he has been barred  for the 2nd time. I think some people just cant help themselves.

If we had more consideration for our fellow being then the world would be a much better place I think.

Patrish
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 September 06 10:06 BST (UK) »
Not a member of GR (and not likely to be, from the sound of this!) but I agree so much that RC is streets ahead, and that the mods are essential and do a fantastic job!

You can log on here and talk to lovely people, and they are so helpful!  I have just had yet another instance of this, where I made a post saying how happy I was to have found a whole lot of new stuff about a ggggrandmother, and someone jumped in and found her on a census where I hadn't been able to find her.  I just mentioned that I didn't know who someone was who was living with her - a census said "Relative" - and the same someone has done a lot of looking and opened up a whole new view of the family!  All this without my even asking!!

I'm not likely to join any other genealogy chat group.  Rootschat Rules Forever!!!  ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 September 06 14:13 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the moral of this is to save your money and stay on RootsChat, but most importantly of all TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 September 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
I am a member but have never posted on their messge boards, and have never found anything useful on their site. I hope that one day I find someone doing research on one of my branches, but I won't join again when my membership runs out. It hasn't been overly useful and I hate having to add my tree. It is a lot of work for very little response. I just come over here and put all my names in the surname interest table and enjoy the company while I wait for a relative to find me.  ::)

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 September 06 14:28 BST (UK) »
Kath, I'm with you I also haven't found anything usefull - just keep my tree on there in the hope that someone might contact me.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire