Author Topic: Jane Hanmer-Rhostyllen  (Read 2227 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Jane Hanmer-Rhostyllen
« on: Friday 08 September 06 15:16 BST (UK) »
Jane Hanmer was born in Rhostyllen in c 1847,the daughter of Thomas and Mary Hanmer.However in 1881 she is living with her Parents and two sisters at 6 Thomas Davies Row Rhostyllen,the problem being that she is listed as Jane Cobb(Married) with a Son Jonathan Thomas Cobb less than one year old,and listed as born in Leeds Yorkshire.She was a niece of my Great-Grandmother Sarah Hanmer,the problem being I have been unable to find any Hanmer-Cobb Marriage anywhere,and also to find any sign of both Mother and Son after this date.Any help with this will be gratefully accepted.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Hanmer-Rhostyllen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hello William

I see that Jonathan Thomas Cobb is down as 1 month old. Have you checked the full GRO 1881 March Quarter and possibly June Q registrations for his birth? 

You might try Jonathan Thomas Hanmer as well.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
It may say he was born in Leeds,but the Birth was registered as Jonathan Thomas Cobb in the Wrexham District in the January Qtr in 1881.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
It is possible that he was born in Leeds and she came home and then registered him. I think the only thing that you can do to find out is to get the certificate.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:15 BST (UK) »
It may be that is the answer,I even looked without success for a marriage of a Jane Hanmer in 1879 and 1880.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
Have you got her in 1861, William, or are they on one of those EDs that went walkabout.

She might have gone to the Leeds area to become a domestic servant. Many females from our area did go either there or, most often, to the Manchester area.

My mother was in service (at the age of 14  :( ) in a large house near Stockport.
The stories she used to tell  :( :( :(  Then she came home when she was 16-17 and worked as a telephonist/post office clerk.

Gadget

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 06 18:58 BST (UK) »
Yes she is still at home in 1861,but not in 1871.The matter could be a little more complicated,for I found the marriage of a Jane Hanmer at Wrexham St Giles to either David Owens or Alfred Williams in 1867.I found no sign of any possible coupling in 1871.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
I think the more usual phraseology would be

There is no evidence of offspring from this union

The problem is, William, that neither Jane nor Hanmer are uncommon names in the area. The only way that you can check if this is your Jane is to get the cert or check the St Giles parish records. I'm not sure if Clwyd FHS have gone this far with Wrexham, do you?

Again if it was her, she could have moved to the Leeds area (work) with her husband who then died and she re-married under her married  name. There are so many possiblities. Have you checked for a Jane Owens or Williams, b. c. 1847, Rhostyllen (orthe wider area)  on the 1871 in both England and Wales?

I think, otherwise, the certificate route is probably be the only option

Gadget

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 06 20:01 BST (UK) »
What I can do is to check the Marriage in 1867 in the Hayes Marriage Index at Rhosymedre,which should give the Fathers names.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire