Author Topic: Who hid George and Fred DIX?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who hid George and Fred DIX?
« on: Friday 08 September 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Frederick James DIX was born in Merthyr Tydfil in 1875 - Garden St to be precise.

His parents were Catherine nee GRAHAM, formerly GOUGH (or GOFF) and George DIX a cheese and bacon dealer (I like him already!)

Frederick is not seen again until 1901 when he is married to Mary and living in Ystradyfodwg, a coal hewer.

His father George has never been seen on a census.

Mother Catherine is possibly sighted in 1881 in Newport, lodging and working as a washerwoman.  She was born in Conw(a)y, Caernarfonshire abt 1847 of Irish parents and had been widowed by the death of Patrick GOUGH, likely in Bangor, Wales 1870.  She must have dashed south and married George in 1872 in Merthyr.

It seems likely that Frederick stayed in the Merthyr area between his birth and 1901, but where was he?  And where his father?

Doing this on behalf of a friend & from memory, so be gentle - any help greatly appreciated!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who hid George and Fred DIX?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 September 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Like yourself, cannot locate either, baffled, what an enigma!

Sorry Arran, would have loved to help

Cas  ???
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 September 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Cas & all who tried - there must be a key to it somewhere!

Meanwhile I have recommended that my friend purchase Fred's marriage cert.

Would still welcome any breakthroughs on the census/ BMD front, if anyone fancies a challenge?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 September 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
This may sound silly but are you sure your George was not previously married or something as on my 1851 disc there are a few George Dix! One is married with a son also called George.
 You have probably already come accross these but here they are anyway:

George Dix son 16 b. Llanridian wool manufacturer
George Dix hd 39 b. Neath(married) wool manufacturer
George Dix lodger 31 b. GLS Westerleigh cordwainer
George Dix Lodger 27 b. Somerset Norton labourer

I dont know if he was born for this census but its possible i guess and he COULD have changed his job!

??? ??? ???
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 September 06 22:45 BST (UK) »
No, Badgirl - certainly not discounting George having been married before.

Catherine had been married and had a son John (seems to have been brought up by his GRAHAM grandparents).

In 1851 I would expect Catherine to be 4 years of age.  George's age is not known.

I haven't gone back that far in time looking for George, simply because he would not have any occupation and without that I would be unable to identify him positively.  He might also be some distance from Merthyr, where Frederick was born in 1875.  I note also that cheese and bacon dealer is probably not a skilled occupation, so he could have been labouring or a fishmonger (viz Llanrhidian) or anything!

Thank you sincerely for looking and I think for tomorrow I will try to follow up the Georges you have found & see what became of them.

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 September 06 22:58 BST (UK) »
It seems like a tricky one but the 16 year old i suppose is a possibility without of course ruling out a huge age gap in marriage but that seems doubtful. There is a George Dix born 1841 on freecen but he seems to have born in Warwickshire so i guess that's a bit far afield.
Good luck with this one!!!
 ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 September 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Two further things:

I am still bothered by the fact that Catherine was seemingly widowed in Bangor in 1870, yet married in Merthyr (with which she had no known connection previously) such a short time later.  Did she meet George in north Wales & move with him?

Along the same lines.  Catherine is living in 19 Garden St, Bangor in 1871 with her parents.  Frederick is born at 25 Garden St, Merthyr in 1875.  Is this a coincidence? Or was he born in Bangor and registered in Merthyr?  We have the birth cert.

Boing! Time for bed!

;)

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 September 06 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Arran
What detail does the marriage certificate of George and Catherine give about his age and father.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhys

We don't yet have the marriage cert for George and Catherine, just Frederick's birth cert.  Sorry if I am getting muddled!

Good to know that all the best brains (self excepted) are picking up the gauntlet!

;)