Author Topic: blackcountry staffs?  (Read 12630 times)

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: blackcountry staffs?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi dawnwas.  My family also worked in the Cannock Pits.  My grandfather used to run around the houses locally in Hednesford when he was  a little boy knocking on the doors to get the miners up for their shifts for 6d a week.  He also did engineering work on West Cannock No. 5 colliery before going into farming.  I am fortunate to live on the edge of Cannock Chase - never moved far from my roots.

Cathy ;)
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy.Great to hear from you.When did your grandfather run around waking up the miners?
My DAd wasa Bevan boy during WW2,along with my Grandad.Grandad originally emmigrated from the area for canada late 1800's early 1900's.
As a boy Dad used to clean out the engines on the steam trains.
How lovely that you still live on the edge of Cannock Chase,I envy you that :)
I am a blackcountry lass with a strong link still emotionally to Chase Terrace,although I never lived there my self.
dawn
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

My grandfather was born in 1876 so it would be about 1882/3 onwards when he had his little job.  He lived with his family in the Hednesford/Chadsmoor area before he took the tenancy of a farm in 1911.  Sadly I never knew him, he died 20 years before I was born.  I never realised until researching the family at the beginning of this year what an extraordinary man he must have been to have built up a good farming business from nothing.  I don't know why but my father never talked much about his family - so the information I found this year has been an wonderful journey. 

Cathy  :)
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Traysha

• RootsChat Member
  • Gd father John Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 20:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding the 'yam-yams', I am making a guess to it's origins. When my husband did his National Service he was nick-named Am you. Instead of asking 'are you?' we tend to say 'am you?'.

Could it be that yam is short for the slang 'yo am' (you are).

Hope you can understand this black country dialect. Or (hope yo con understond this black cuntry dilect).

I've heard this dialect is the least favourite in the country, but it is the nearest to the Old English language and in my opinion it should be preserved and not ridiculed.

from a Black Cuntry Ouman. ;D ;D
Pugh  Bishops Castle
Burley Cradley Heath
Foley  Cradley Heath
Smith  Netherton

Offline derryphilip

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:44 BST (UK) »
The yam yam does come from you am and we tend to call brummies yo yo's from a similar saying but i can not quite remember what.
Derry/ Dury/Deary Louth/ Spalding/ Norfolk also Yelland isle of wight

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 October 06 16:41 BST (UK) »

Thanks, now I know.

I suppose we could have been referred to as

"bin-bins"  or   "bay-bays"

Jackie,
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 October 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
hi sucad....I for one, would love to see the photo's. :D Dawn
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 December 06 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the links. It turns out this would be the part of Staffordshire my Hayes family lived in, really for one generation as far was we can tell. My ggg grandparents came over from Ireland and raised 4 children in the Cannock area (Michael, John, James, Mary Jane, and George). John was a coal miner, married a Hodson lass and eventually moved to Australia. James left for New Jersey, Mary Jane died at 15 and is buried in Rugeley with her mom and I assume her dad, although haven't found that yet. And I don't know what happened to Michael and George. I am on the hunt. It is nice to learn what life was like for them where they lived.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline rubygemstone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Duncombe Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 June 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  I was born and breed willenhall and am still 1 mile away now. Willenhall was mostly known for the Lock industry and employing 2 or 4 people in their own backyards, if not others their own family's.
I cum from a family of Locksmith's dating back from the early 1500s from willenhall, new invention, willenhall, wolverhampton and tipton and darlaston.
My family was the Duncombe's married to squire's who had been going for 300yrs, Parkes, Dowens, Tuckleys, Applebys and so on we're all connected.
Willenhall was also known for the people being hunched backed and resting their backs in an hole in the wall, alot of people are still like it today.

Ruby
Duncombe's, Dobson's, Davies's & Saunders.
All from the Staffordshire Area.