Author Topic: Need information on William ROWE and family  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: Need information on William ROWE and family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:06 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks a lot deb - but you must get off to bed now  ::) ::)

As this research is for somebody else, I was trying to get the info with too much cost.  I'll have a word with him to see if he wants to 'plunge'.

;D ;D

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pedrowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 15:47 BST (UK) »
I read with great interest your search for a william rowe, after typing this name in google and finfing this rootschat line.

Why did I type this name in?

My great grandfather was William Rowe, born in Devonport in mid 1800s, moved to London to become bootmaker to King Edward VII.

He had a brother called Samuel, two years younger, and they lived in the parish of Stoke Damerel, which is Devonport, Plymouth, today.

Interesting that there were quite a few Rowe's in the area at that time and wondering if some were related in some way.

I have managed to find out some information on them, even though I now live in Sydney, Australia.

regards

Pete Rowe

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 17:44 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Welome to Rootschat Peter !

As you can see, all the info I have on this family is posted below, which I was researching for a friend.  If you wish, I can pass your message on to him, but that's all I can do I'm afraid.

Thanks for replying

:) :) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pedrowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 06 01:53 BST (UK) »
good to hear from you.

For info, this is my william rowe family tree, from 1861 census:

1861 census

Head - Robert Rowe, 1815, Tideford, Cornwall - Shoemaker
Wife - Elizabeth Rowe, 1819, St Neott, Cornwall
Robert - 1841, Devonport, Devon
William - 1845, Devonport, Devon
Samuel - 1847, Devonport, Devon.

Living at 92 Pembroke Street, Stoke Damerel.

1881 census
William Rowe unmarried, aged 32, boarder, bootmaker, born devonport. Living with Isiah Partner or Barkner or something like that, a bootmaker aged 57, with his wife Harriet, aged 56, in 13 Hollen St, St Anne Soho, London.

He had clearly moved from Devon to London and was beginning to make his way in the world.

***Samuel Rowe (brother of William the shoemaker and younger by about two years):
1891 census - Samuel (44) naval pensioner and publican, wife Lavinia (41) and children: Samuel J (19), Frederick (8), daughters Lavinia E (14), Florence (11), Beatrice (8) and Lilly (3). Living at 6 Pembroke St, Devonport.

1881 census: Po Gunner RN. living at 54 Monument St, Devonport, in region of Stoke Damerel. Aged 34 with only 3 children then.

1871 census: aged 24, just married to Lavinia, Seaman at 10 Pembroke St, Devonport.

** 1891 census
William Rowe, bootmaker, aged 37, born Devonport about 1848
Wife Sarah, aged 29, born Rotherfield, Sussex 1862
Daughter Maud, aged 4 -  **The only Maud I can find in the 1901 census, is Maud A, aged 15, servant to Robert Key of Chiswick, a jeweller. 4 Holmfield Rd, Chiswick.

IN 1891 the rowe family lived at 116 Brackenbury Road, Hammersmith.

Please note: William is married to Sarah in 1891 and Constance in 1901.  Sarah had died, leaving one daughter Maude, who was pressed into service upon reaching 14 by stepmother Constance.

1901 census

William Rowe, shoemaker, (with 'bootmaker' written above in the form) age 48. born: Devonport about 1848
Wife, Constance, age 40 born Rotherfield, Sussex 1861
Son – William, aged 7, born London
Son, Alfred, age 6  born London

Living at 81 Carthew Rd, Hammersmith, London.

There is a William Rowe, born in about 1892 in the autumn at Fulham, which is same as Hammersmith parish.
Nothing found for 1894, which would make him 7 in the 1901 census, but this is my grandfather.

Not sure if this is any help, but there may be family links??

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 06 07:18 BST (UK) »

Thanks Peter !

I will pass on all that information to my friend.

Offline SwordFish73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 January 21 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Rather a late reply, but I am wondering whether your James Frederick Rowe, born Devonport, 1826, really is the son of Samuel Rowe. The only James Frederick Rowe I can find born in Devonport around that time was christened in June 1825 (so census records would estimate his year of birth as 1826). His parents, according to the Devon Parish Records and Bishop's Transcripts were James Rowe and Louisa Rowe (née Phillips) (my paternal great-great-grandparents).

In the 1841 census he is listed as Frederick Rowe:

Name Frederick Rowe
Place Stoke Damerel, Devon, England, United Kingdom
Residence Fore Street
Male Aged 15
Birth Year (Estimated) 1822-1826
Birthplace Devon
Page Number 11 Registration Number HO107 Piece/Folio 274/8
Affiliate Image Identifier GBC/1841/0274/0011&parentid=GBC/1841/0000910423

Household      Role   Sex      Age   Birthplace
George Rowe      Male      5   Devon
Charlotte Rowe      Female   2   Devon