Author Topic: George Hill 1891 census  (Read 507 times)

Offline kitchener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Hill 1891 census
« on: Saturday 09 September 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate some assistance regarding the 1891  census for Bridgwater.  Looking for a George Hill, b. 1864 in Bridgwater.  Wondering if he was married and what his wife's name was or if there were any children.  George is my gr.gr. uncle, and died about age 30 after falling from a ladder.  On the BMD site I found a 30 yr. old George Hill death listed for 1894, which ties in with family stories.  However, there are two possible marriages, to either a Rose Solomon or Mary Ann Gardner for  1889, so if he was married and with children, it should turn up on the 1891 census.  Once my branch came to Canada, many trails have gone cold, and was hoping to pursue this one with a bit of help.

thanks

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hill 1891 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
I can see a George Hill, unmarried, mason's labourer aged 26 (b. Bridgwater) who is a patient in Bridgwater Infirmary in 1891.  (RG12/1884; Folio 99; Page 19)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kitchener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Hill 1891 census
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 06 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that.  Based on that, the George Hill marriages are not him, and he died about aged 30 which fits in with the BMD info.  He was a mason's labourer on the 1881 census, so I'm guessing he didn't change jobs much!  The family story is that George didn't wear a hat while on the ladder, got sunstroke and fell off.  As kids we were always told that your uncle died of sunstroke so wear a hat.  Little did we know it was  a gr.gr. uncle in England who died before our own parents were born.  Good motivational tool for parents I guess.  Thanks again