Author Topic: Bassingbourne Baptisms  (Read 2476 times)

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bassingbourne Baptisms
« on: Sunday 10 September 06 23:35 BST (UK) »
Brickwall I'm afraid, can anyone help me please?

Searching for Baptisms of :-

John Newell and Elizabeth Huggins. They married in 1792 in Bassingbourn. 

Hopefully baptism may throw light on parents.

Will be very grateful for any information.

Thanks
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bassingbourne Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Boredom set in early today, so I familysearched for John Newell.

What about John Newell, son of William Newell and Elizabeth, christened at Abington Pigotts, Cambridgeshire, 4 April 1762? He would be about the right age; and I reckon it is barely a couple of miles from Bassingbourn to Abington Pigotts.
In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.
Census information may be Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 15:44 BST (UK) »
And for the bride ... hmmm.

There does not seem to be anyone local, but try this:

Leaving Bassingbourn and Abington Pigotts, head south, join the old alignment of the Great North Road (the coach road and the drovers' road): Royston, Hertford, Ware, Enfield. And we find: Elizabeth Huggins, christened at St Andrews, Enfield, 16 January 1771, daughter of William and Elizabeth Huggins.

A possible?

With parents on both sides with the same forenames, any bets on the names for the next generation?
In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 18:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the serial format: real life keeps interrupting the interesting bits.

If you accept the John Newell identification, then the IGI (batch numbers P011951 and M11951) for Abington Piggots neatly gives you the previous generation:
William Newell married Elizabeth Rosin, 3 November 1745.
Their children:
Thomas, christened 26 April 1747;
William, christened 12 March 1749;
John, christened 26 May 1751;
James, christened 11 June 1753;
Richard, christened 13 July 1755;
Elizabeth, christened 15 May 1757;
Rachel, 23 September 1759;
John, 4 April 1762.

The IGI does not have burials for Abington Pigotts, but the Cambridgeshire FHS site  [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CAM/AbbingtonPiggotts/index.html#Cemeteries]
says the records (1729-1987) are at the Cambridgeshire Records Office, as are the Banns for 1755-1811, and the monumental inscriptions for 1793-1976.

Offline jacques

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello John
Indebted to you for all your help, many thanks.

Yes looks as though it is the right John Newell and as for your Elizabeth Huggins, seems very likely indeed, would never have thought of Enfield for baptism for Elizabeth. Huggins isn't a common name so it all seems possible.

A big thankyou John for your time and generosity.

Regards Pam
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the thanks: nothing to it, really: the difficult we do every day; the impossible takes a little longer (except when we hit lucky, as in this instance).

Or perhaps not: I notice that there is a marriage of an Elizabeth Huggins to Benjamin Darby, at St Andrew, Enfield, 11 April 1793, which would take that lady out of the equation: unless it is your Elizabeth's mother remarrying. That may be possible, because the church record seems not to specify parents for Elizabeth (more likely for a widow than a maiden-marriage? Need an expert here.)

By the way (and in view of the above, probably irrelevant), I felt the same about "Huggins": not a common name, which made me look a little further.

If you go to the Old Bailey site [specifically http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/html_units/1770s/t17750111-13.html], we turn up one particular William Huggins. Huggins is a "helpful by-stander" in a case of highway robbery. A certain John Head, a wagon driver from Enfield, is coming to London. At ten-past-six on a late December morning, Head is mugged of sixpence by a William Morley. Morley, shortly after, is nabbed at a blacksmith's shop, when he draws one of a pair of pistols (which he later claims he 'found ... on Stamford Hill' -- tout change mais rien ne change). Huggins is called as a witness, and gives evidence that he "drew the charge of the pistol that the prisoner attempted to fire, it was loaded with swan shot". Verdict: "Guilty Death".

The case does not give us a precise location, but Ponder's End is mentioned, which suggests close enough to Enfield. The point of this is:
  • Huggins knows firearms well enough to be a credible 'Expert' witness, so gentry or military?
  • Huggins is on the road early in the morning, so does that imply a possible reason for him and his family to connect with Bassingbourne?

Ah, the sweet mysteries of past lives!

Offline jacques

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again John
Thanks for all that, I think the most likely is Elizabeth senior remarried..
Huggins in Old Bailey site, exciting, I wonder if he will turn out  to be one of mine, would give a little colour to the tree.
Again a big thank you for your time and trouble.
Regards Pam
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire