Author Topic: ROBERTSON/McCALMONT  (Read 8467 times)

Offline john10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTSON/McCALMONT
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Russ, I think the documents must be in The Centre for Bucks studies at Aylesbury (Record Office) rather than the museum. I go there quite frequently so I will check to see if they have accessions from DAWSON. I will let you know the result.
John
Chalfont St Giles local history
Anthony
Radclyffe
Turney
Wharley

Offline eminentvs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 09 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching James Shaw Robertson and others who were central figures in Hanford, California's "English Colony" of the late 19th Century. In addition to JSR, there are the McCalmont sisters, Ethel and Margaret (Margaret married JSR's business partner, James Ernest Rawlins), William Rose Robinson (1851 - 1885, older brother of JSR) and his fascinating wife, Lilia Napier Rose Robinson. These were remarkable people, and they left a lingering imprint of art, faith, and pioneering development behind when they returned to England. The Episcopal Church of the Saviour in Hanford preserves and uses the redwood chapel built by these and a few others in 1882, decorated with stained glass windows from Florence (the mcCalmont connection) and England and remarkable wall paintings by the McCalmont sisters (see St. Ann's in Syston for similar work done by the McCalmonts after the return to England). JSR's first wife, Julia Eliabeth "Lily" Robinson (nee Barkworth) is buried in our local cemetery, as is William Rose Robinson.

Surprisingly, after 125 or more years, there are pressing issues. I am eager to find living relatives (most particularly among the descendants of Harold and Julia Traill Barkworth, parents of Lily Robinson), and photographs or portraits of any of these individuals to supplement the few images we have of JSR. Lilias Napier Rose Robinson published a couple of very charming accounts of trips to Yosemite and the Sierras with her husband -- rare volumes that warrant re-publishing; verified images of either Lilias or her husband would enhance that project enormously. I would be happy to share the information I've gathered at interpreted on this side of the Atlantic.
William Rose Robinson, Jmes Shaw Robinson, James Shaw Robertson, Lilias Napier Rose Robinson, Lilias Napier Bonar, Julia Elizabeth Barkworth, Florence Ashley Rawlins, Henry Wilton Rawlins, James Ernest Rawlins, Ethel Elizabeth McCalmont, Margaret Anna McCalmont

Offline Russ26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 November 09 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in exchanging information, although I am not sure how much I have.  My connection is through my wife who is the granddaughter of Alexander Bashall Dawson.  ABD married (2) MARGARET EDITH ROBERTSON Abt. 1933, daughter of JAMES ROBINSON (or ROBERTSON) and ETHEL MCCALMONT.  She was born January 26, 1889, and died January 14, 1980 in Alameda, California. 

Offline eminentvs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 November 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Russ,

It's exciting to learn that your wife is the great-granddaughter of James Shaw Robertson and Ethel McCalmont Robertson. I don't know how much you may already know about the McCalmont and Robinson/Robertson families; for instance, are you aware of the connection with Florence's English Cemetery and the Villa McCalmont (as it was once known)? Are you aware of the beautiful chapel here in Hanford that Ethel was so deeply involved in decorating? If  not, there are links and pictures to send your way. There are many documents here that are directly relate to Ethel McCalmont and her husband -- both in church documents and in a trove of business papers that were long ago donated to our local museum. I am researching the English colony of Hanford, of which Ethel was a central figure, as part of an historical project for a centennial. I'll be happy to share with you anything that might be helpful. I don't know how to attach images to this reply, but I do have a few that might be of interest to you, and will pursue some means of providing them.

Mark A.
William Rose Robinson, Jmes Shaw Robinson, James Shaw Robertson, Lilias Napier Rose Robinson, Lilias Napier Bonar, Julia Elizabeth Barkworth, Florence Ashley Rawlins, Henry Wilton Rawlins, James Ernest Rawlins, Ethel Elizabeth McCalmont, Margaret Anna McCalmont

Offline pulsworthy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 April 10 02:43 BST (UK) »
England.

Offline mal689

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 June 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure this is of relavance to anyone, but my father was head gardener at "The Vache" from 1950 to about 1954/55 when it was sold to the Coal Board. I spent four wonderful years exploring the estate and remember "Mrs Dawson" as a very nice person.Mr Dawson was not in good health and we didn't see much of him. I can recollect she would have a Christmas party each year for the estate staff. I can still remember some of the games we played. In those days, only my sister, myself and a friend ever seemed to visit Captain Cooke's Monument. Now and then we would have "famous " people visit (ie Dirk Bogarde?) which was fun. My Dad grew corn, grapes, peaches, figs,loganberries and all kinds of stuff that was influenced by California. Hope this is of some interest to the family

Offline HelloEveryone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 April 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
@Mal81

Wow, this is nine years later than your post but you're the first person I have come across with a connection to the staff at The Vache. Was your grandfather William T Weatherly? I have the 1939 census record - my great-grandmother was the cook. Her name was Ethel Neve, and she had an adopted daughter called Kathleen (although she may have gone by the name Patricia or Pat). You remember being there? Do you remember Ethel Neve at all?

I've just started looking into my family tree, as my grandmother was adopted by Ethel but never wanted to trace her biological parents. So there's always been this big mystery.

Sorry for hijacking your post 13 years later Russ :/ Hope you found what you were looking for.

Offline denkaye

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 February 24 18:40 GMT (UK) »
HELLO,

My name is Denny. We ARE in the process of reprinting Lilias Napier's [Bonar] books on Yosemite & Mineral King. Rare books for sure.

Do you have any photos of Lilias or additional family or personal info on her. We are trying to write up a biography to go along with her books but our internet searches turn up only general info.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.