Author Topic: An Old Photo  (Read 5796 times)

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
An Old Photo
« on: Monday 11 September 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of a soldier dated 1916 ''Billie'' in my Nan's handwriting - amongst my Nan's old diaries...it says 'A' & 'Ms R.Es' on the back.  My Mum added ''capper'' or ''sapper'' on the back and ''first love'' but doesnt remember it!

I presume he died in the Great War as my Nan went on to marry my grandad in 1919..and if he was a childhood sweetheart it would be Hertfordshire we are thinking of as she was from Radlet, Herts [orginally Acton in London].  I do know he wasn't a brother etc.

I will try the Herts list too

Any other suggestions?

cath
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An Old Photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy
You could try posting the photo on the Armed Forces board where they may well be able to identify his regiment, rank etc.
Have you got your Nan in 1901? Maybe looking close by for suitable Williams, then checking on the Commonwealth War graves site to see if any died? And whether reigement matches?

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 12:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Jan but the photo is tiny -  I know it was taken in the backyard of number 1 Station Road, Radlett, Hertfordshire.  As I have a number of photos taken there amongst my Nan's old things...

That reminds me to say that as you have HANDLEY amongst your Bedfordshire interests.  You may know the lady that this concerns:

BUTLER: On August 20 1978, peacefully in hospital, Margaret, aged 61years, of Russett Cottage, 5 Church Walk, Kempston.  Wife of Alex A Butler and dear daughter of Mr W Handley. Funeral service today , Friday August 25, 2.15 pm at Bunyan Meeting, Mill Street, Bedford.  Flowers to Clarabut & Plumbe, Bedford, or donations, if desired, may be sent to the Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Lincoln Inn Fields, London WC2

The death notice was in my Nan's old diary and Nan used to live at 5 Church Walk.

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 06 13:01 BST (UK) »
Cathy
Thanks for posting that - as far as I know no connection though. My Handleys are a bit distant my 2xgreat grandmother was born Alice Handley in Wrestlingworth.
Re your photo even if tiny it might still be worth posting, someone might be able to help enlarge it.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I doubt if it will help but A & Ms was probably arms and muntions, RE is Royal Engineers and he was a Sapper, RE talk for a Private
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you that sounds right  ;D

Offline kayfr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 07 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
I know that your message was from last year.  I was intrigued did your nan live at 1 Station Road?  My grandfather was born at no 6 Station Road in 1907.  I was just wondering if you had any photos of the radlett area at that time.

Regards
Kay
Rumney, Kentish, Norwood, Larkin, Hoare, Hertfordshire
Yarnold, Farwell, Worcestershire
Mallandain, London

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
Am I going mad, I thought this was posted sometime ago with the answer of Royal Engineers, Arms and Munitions, Rank of Sapper
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you Indaloman I noted that you had  :)

And Kay, I will look up any pics of Radlet...my Nan has a few but they were all taken in the back yard with the old tin bath hanging from a hook on the fence  ;D

But I'll see if there is any more pics of front of houses and get back to you.

cathy