Author Topic: Vaynor House  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Vaynor House
« on: Monday 11 September 06 19:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where Vaynor House is or was? This is NOT the Vaynor House north of Merthyr, which was home to the Howfield family and is now demolished. This one appeared in the 1901 Census under Quakers Yard and was at the time home to my grandfather's brother, Robert Orton Dowdeswell. Judging by nearby places in the Census, it might actually have been in Edwardsville.
   Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Vaynor House
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the postcode finder service on the Royal Mail website, as suggested on another thread, I've discovered that Vaynor House still exists and is indeed in Edwardsville. Result!
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 19:06 BST (UK) »
I've not just found Vaynor House - one of those great coincidences you sometimes get: I asked an elderly lady if she knew where it was and she replied, "I own it!" - but I learned that it had a chequered history.
  The lady gave me a picture of Vaynor House, without a roof, in 1913, after a tornado struck the little valleys village of Edwardsville.
  It's looking a bit better today!
  Gareth

Offline ToadCR

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Our site has pictures of Vaynor House

www.oldmerthyrtydfil.com

Also with pictures of the surrounding area. Hope this is of help to you.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - the site has long been on my favourites list!
   I had noticed that the pic the lady gave me was also on your site and a few of the other tornado pix show Vaynor House from different angles.
   Gareth