Author Topic: Dorset Place Name - Help!  (Read 8659 times)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Place Name - Help!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
 Well done Fred...I was just sat here moving backwards and forwards between sites on Ringwood and Fordingbridge along to Breamore and beyond on the road to Britford. I probably drive past it every time i go to the Library at Salisbury. I remembetred his wife Fanny was born in Britford and realized he probably didnt travel too far in that day and age! I dont like being beaten so i would have just gone on and on and on.....you know how it is ::) I would have still been sat here this time tomorrow.

Brilliant for Darcy if that is it ;D   regards cheryle
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, well done.
I'd looked at all the places on the Dorset/Wiltshire/Hants border and found nothing.
R
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 23:45 BST (UK) »
It seems to be right on the boundary where the three counties meet. There is some useful info on the local pottery industry around Crendell Common in Jo Draper's book "Dorset Country Pottery"
Fred

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 23:56 BST (UK) »
Just as us three will be going to bed Darcy will be getting up. I bet she will be upset she's missed all this but will be delighted with the outcome no doubt. I  would raise a glass of Wadsworthx6 to you both (if i had one) for our  efforts, Mind you i dont drink so i think a pint of that would render me even more useless than i already was here. ;D

Morning Darcy...Hope Freds result was what you were after and night night  you two.

cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, ;D

you people are just wonderful ;D ;D Thanks to all of you and especially Fred.
I was having a laugh at all your comments. I was very proud when I found James was from Dorset - my first rellie from there. I have a map of England and I highlight all the counties where I find a relative. I only have a few counties to go and I've covered the lot. A band of wanderers were my lot!

I'm glad you found James as Greon! ;D I don't know what it is with my rellies but they all seem to give weird places of birth. I have a great grandmother from Whaplode Drove Linconshire and it took ages to be sure I had the right person. I got  - Dover Wapple, Narpley, Lincoln City and Lancashire.

I'm thrilled to bits. I tried for ages to find anything resembling the name but had no luck. Being an Aussie doesn't help much either! I knew if anyone could find it RootsChat was the place to ask. ;D

You can all have a Wadsworth on me. ;D ;D ;D Many many thanks for all you help and for giving me a laugh too.

Kind Regards
Darcy ;)
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Don't they say "Nothing breeds success like six-x"? ::)
I'm glad we found the right one, I think there would have been lots of midnight oil burned in Dorset otherwise. :)
On a serious note, I should have explained the reference to the Pottery industry.
The area around Lobsell in E Dorset/W Hants and down as far as Verwood was very poor heathland. It was thinly populated as it could not support an agricultural population. As a result, various local industries developed including hurdle making, and more famously, pottery making. The small holders and potters made a distinctive style of folk pottery which they hawked around the  markets across the region. You can pick up sherds in the fields after ploughing and sometimes find old pits filled with broken pots. The industry lasted from the 13th cent. until the early 1900s when factories killed the trade. The Verwood and District Potteries Trust are the local experts on the industry and their website can be seen at  http://www.verwoodpotteries.co.uk if its of interest.
Fred

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 September 06 04:13 BST (UK) »

Hi Fred, ;D

thanks very much for that link and the information on the area. I love finding out about the places where my ancestors lived. It's all so interesting. I have managed to find Lopshill on the map and printed it out.

Can I pick your brains another time? ;D  Would you have any idea what registration district Lobshill would have come under in the early days?  I've been looking at the IGI but as it's on the border of three counties I'm totally confused. Don't go to a lot of trouble but I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 September 06 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I've had a close look at the map on              www.old-maps.uk . They give the modern spelling of Lops Hill on the 1891 whereas the earlier 1" reprint gives "Lobsell".
It looks as if it now lies just inside the Hampshire boundary which I believe puts it in the Parish of Damerham in 1777.  If he was born a few yards away in Dorset, then It might be worth trying Cranborne Parish.
(Some parish boundaries in the area were altered in 1887 and the Counties were adjusted in the 1970s)
While it was raining this evening, I had a look in our town library and I noticed they have microfiches of the Damerham registers for the period so I might have a check on him when I get a minute. I hope that's of help,
Fred
Slightly amended- re the county boundaries! 

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 September 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
I just realised looking at the map that Damerham was a part of Wiltshire in 1777. It appears that the parish was given to Hampshire in the 1890s but it means that Mr Green was born in Wiltshire.
Aargh!! ::) Fred