Author Topic: Is Castle classed as Newcastle?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Is Castle classed as Newcastle?
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 01:12 BST (UK) »
I've just found the marriage of hubby's Auntie Margaret Burns to John (aka Jack) Kay in April 1921. It is listed as Castle W 10b 557

Now is Castle also known as Newcastle?

Margaret was born in Dudley Colliery in 1900 but in 1916 the family were living in Amble as that is where hubby's Dad was born. Can't understand why they would be married there if the family were a bit further north

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Castle classed as Newcastle?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 09:06 BST (UK) »
Castle W = Castle Ward, which was a Civil Registration District.
Have a look at this link from Genuki, and this will show you all the Townships and Civil Parishes which fell within this District.
http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/districts/castle%20ward.html

Hope this helps
Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen

I also found the marriages of hubby's other Auntie and Uncle and they were in the same area.

Also realise now why brother in law is so insistent that we had family in Ponteland

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Following Jennifer's route, you will have seen that the four main community areas lying within Castle Ward Reg District were Gosforth, Newburn, Ponteland and Stamfordham.

Sub-district reg offices were sited at these four places, to save folk's shoe-leather.

Gosforth and Newburn have been gobbled up by Newcastle City, while Ponteland and Stamfordham still lie in Northumberland, both in the borough of Castle Morpeth.

Trivia Angle... Castle Ward workhouse was situated in Ponteland from 1848 (previously at Heddon-on the-Wall).

If one of your folk was born in Dudley Colliery, then the appropriate District Reg Office was Tynemouth.

But Tynemouth DRO had about ten sub-district offices, including one at Longbenton.

The parish of Longbenton had four "townships" ( "township" a misleading term for a sub-division of a parish, and not pertaining to a "town")... Longbenton itself, Walker (on banks of River Tyne) Killingworth and Weetslade.

Dudley Colliery lay within the "township" of Weetslade.

BMDs in Amble would have been registered with Alnwick DRO ( but with three sub-district offices at ...Alnwick itself, Embleton and Warkworth... Amble folk would probably registered at nearby Warkworth SDO)

And miners moved around !

Michael Dixon
Newcastle

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Thanks for the info

Margaret's mother, Catherine Elizabeth Turnbull was also born in Dudley Colliery as her father was a Fireman there. Margaret's father, Peter James Burns was a platelayer when she was born.

I know Peter and Catherine are both buried at Morpeth. I know they moved to Stannington later on after Amble.

So does this mean that the Castle W stated in the register is probably Morpeth castle?

Carol

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:48 BST (UK) »
Carol,

The "Castle" aspect in Castle Ward, is a bit of a puzzle, to me anyway...   It is not Morpeth, as Morpeth was a Registration District in it's own right at the same time that Castle Ward existed.

(Trivias Angle... there were several areas throughout the country called Castle Ward)

Morpeth had three sub-district offices, at Morpeth, Bedlington and Ashington.

Stannington lay in Castle Ward reg district. So if they died at Stannington, they might have been buried at Morpeth, but their deaths would have had to have been registered with Castle Ward.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Bobh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 07 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Amble is one mile from Warkworth which has a castle and sometimes people have their wedding pictures taken there.
Blakelock, Brown, Castleton, Edwards, Galliford, Groves, Hall, Holland, Huggins, Ions, Packer, Smith, Womack.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 07 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bobh

Have now left that bit of research to a new 2nd cousin who lives in the area so he can go searching for them all. Easier for him than me travelling over from Blackpool.

Carol

Offline Bobh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 07 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Carol, Well done, wish I had 'cousins' all over the uk and some other countries. Thats where the old tin box and a screen comes in handy. Good luck.
Blakelock, Brown, Castleton, Edwards, Galliford, Groves, Hall, Holland, Huggins, Ions, Packer, Smith, Womack.