Author Topic: What do I do now?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
What do I do now?
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:16 BST (UK) »
Well I'm at a cross roads with my research now

I have trailed down every road looking for everyone on my tree (including siblings and distant cousins)
I have looked at the history of the areas and added them in to the tree info notes
I have looked at the occupations shared by many of my ancestors and added them in to the tree info notes
I have found birth, marriages and deaths for many of them and filed the separate records and certs
I have scoured census images for those who lived nearby who may or not be related.
I have even looked at families for those married to my ancestors but no blood relation to me and added their info
I have even looked for new rellies (often with no luck)  :-\
I have sent letters and emails to many people

Now I don't know where to go next!   ???

I even thought about picking one poor person in the 1901 census and challenging myself to do their tree and see where I got.

Keep looking for people in my tree to see if there is anyone "new" that I could look for but nothing there. The trail soon dies

What can I do? I know I am far from finished but cannot seem to find anything t look for

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do now?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Carol, my advice is to leave it for a while and then go back with a fresh pair of eyes.

It really works wonders and you see things that were allways there but you just didn't 'see' them.

Also, what about witnesses at marriages - they must have been very important and an integral part of your ancestors lives.

If this doesn't work - you have to wait and live in hope that family will contact you.

wishing you good luck

Fiona  :) :) :) :)
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I know you already do it but I tend to go looking for other people's ancestors when I reach a lull in mine. I find their ancestors nearly as interesting as mine. Not altruism, just nosey I suppose  :)

Then I come back to mine and inevitably find a few more  :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:29 BST (UK) »
How about being a GOON  ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-name_study

daunting and challenging !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:33 BST (UK) »
How about being a GOON  ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-name_study

daunting and challenging !

Oh sorry Scroppers I thought you had typed LOON! - good description of me there lol

No seriously I would love to do a One Name Study but seeing as my most common names are BURNS, DAVIDSON, TURNBULL, OWEN WILLIAMS, THOMAS & GRIFFITHS I would end up with a list of thousands! Per name!

Mind you I suppose that would keep me busy for a long while wouldn't it? Any ideas on how to start please?

I might just start with Burns in Northumberland and see what I get.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
Anyone want me to have a look at one of theirs?

Carol

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
All 4 of my requests in the last 2 months have brickwalled - feel free to have a crack !

Just search on

• Horace Davison
  • George Lawrence
  • John Laird
  • Osgathorpe

PS. Ref GOON - just Google ONE NAME STUDY and it'll find you the SoG's site with the definitions and rules ...
That'll keep you quiet ! 

Cheers, S
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
Here's my latest for you Carol:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,182796.msg886893.html#msg886893

I've also got those Burgess, Spaldings and Carsons in Dumfries and Galloway and.........

lots of Jones  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 15:57 BST (UK) »
Do any of your ancestors live in a small village? Maybe you could look at the families in that village and piece the generations together? I've started crazing over Elmdon recently for no apparent reason  ::)
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex