Author Topic: What do I do now?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do now?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 16:32 BST (UK) »
Write a book.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Scroppers - where are each of the names from? I knew some Osguthorpes in York and some Lawrences as well

Gadget - will have a look at yours as well but you can b****r off with the Jones! lol Don't you think they have caused me enough trouble with the ones I already have!

Carrie - Good idea as some do come from small villages and their children married and stayed there so might find more links

Liz - Thought of that and then couldn't decide who to do first.

So I now have plenty to keep me going thanks to you all.  ;D

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 16:57 BST (UK) »
Carol

Be very careful with those Walkingtons and Fryers of Shropshire. If you read down my posting you'll see that at the end of my Fryer line I have a Thomas Fryer marrying in 1625 ...........................................

an Elizabeth Jonnes  ;D ;D  ;D :( :( :(

Gadget  ;)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I agree with the "take a break, and come back to it later" line of thought,
but if you want to find out more about One Place Studies, try these sites:

One-place studies are a branch of family history with a focus on the entire population of a single European village or community, not just a single, geographically dispersed family line.
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-place_study

Article includes lots of info and links,

and

The ONE-PLACE STUDY Website
http://www.eyemead.com/oneplace.htm
For those making a One-Place Study in Genealogy and Local History, listing and indexing records, and making these freely available on a website. We try to discuss problems, ideas and solutions and publish your e-mails and Articles. Experienced opinion is available with addresses of developed OPS websites and index of Places.

Have a read, and mull it over.

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob

Will have a look at that site as well - plenty to do until 9.00pm

Gadget - No way! I think I'll keep away from that family then lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol - my names are all on posts I made - just use RootsChat search facility.

The Osgathorpes are in Marylebone (somewhere) in 1841 - this particular branch started in Bristol ... but must have come from the Midlands originally - given the name of the village up there !

Cheers !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 18:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with all the suggestions so far.

I usually take a bit of a break for the summer then start again with one side of the family checking every avenue.  It usually takes all winter.  The following winter I start on the other side.

The book is a very good idea.

Also what about your own history.  I'm sure your grandchildren would love that.

Also go though the rootschat sections in your areas and try to look at all those queries with no replies or only one or two and try to help out.

It's amazing how fast the summer goes.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

If you want to do more that's related to your own family there's a series of four books collectively called 'Studying Family and Community History'. They're text books (but friendly to read, not stuffy), and they throw up all sorts of ideas about looking at 'your' families against the wider background of the communities they lived in - was there a 'typical' family, did women only go out to work in poor families, were family units more stable than today etc., etc. I've had them all out of the library, and have mentally made a note of around a dozen areas I'd like to follow through on. No problem at all if I live to be about 500  ;D

I've got a list of the four titles and their authors somewhere if you're interested. I'd also try the library rather than buying them, as I think they're around £20 each.

Silvilocks

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:09 BST (UK) »
oooh yes please silvilocks

If you could find the titles I might be able to get them from Ebay or even Amazon

Will be worth looking at

Just trying to have another go at the very early members of the tree and see if I can find even one tiny thing on them

Carol