Author Topic: Garlicks Upperthong  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Dee321eeD

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Garlicks Upperthong
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 21:28 BST (UK) »
Could someone please look up the parents of James Garlick born c1812, Upperthong, Yorkshire, John Garlick c1814 and Christopher Garlick c1821 all Upperthong, Yorkshire. Thank you

I need to know the names of the parents and then I need to know the names of their parents if possible please. The link I thought was their grandfather has collapsed.

I think I need parish records! I can trace James and Christopher through the censuses from 1841 onwards, John is on 1841 and maybe 1851 but he seems to have changed profession. On the LDS I think they are christened in Holmfirth as all the dates tie in but no sign of Christopher!

The parents of James and John on LDS are Benjamin Garlick and Nancy? I may be barking up the wrong tree but thats why I need help.  The 3 boys moved to Hollingworth, Derbyshire  sometime before 1841 as they are all living in the Gun Inn Yard on that census.  There is also a Charles Garlick b1823 ish from Upperthong living in Hadfield, Derbyshire in 1851.  This tangle needs untangling please.

Help!!
Woodhead,Welsby,-Ches.<br />Garlick,-Yorks./Derbs<br />Gilmore,Honeywood-Manchester,Lancs<br />Sinfield,-Beds,Bucks,Derbyshire<br />Partridge-Beds<br /><br />Howcroft-Lancs,Ches<br />Price-Ches<br />Teece-Shrops<br />

Offline LynneOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garlicks Upperthong
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello
It appears the father of your Garlick boys was Benjamin Garlick who was probably the son of Charles Garlick of Holmfirth, baptised on 23 Sep 1788. Benjamin appears to have married Nancy Beardsell on 26 May 1810 in Almondbury, Yorkshire. Nancy was buried at Holmfirth on 9 May 1814 aged 27 years. Since John was born on 17 Apr 1814, it is likely this was the result of childbirth. James was born on 12 March 1812. Christopher was therefore most probably the result of a second marriage if Benjamin was his father, however no birth record for a Christopher born about 1821-1826 with a father Benjamin was found. He could have been a cousin.

Christopher can be found living with John in the next household to James the 1841 census and in the 1851-1881 census records, married to Sarah. James married Mary Ann Marsden in 1835 in Mottram, Cheshire. John may have died in Mottram in 1848 since the John cited in 1851 does not appear to be the same man.

Benjamin appears to have had brothers: Joseph born 1786; and Joshua born 1790, but there is no mother identified. However there is a marriage record for a Charles Garlick and Mary Brook on 19 Sep 1785 at Kirkburton, Yorkshire which may fit.

That's my lot. Good luck with your Garlicks. Mine are all a worry too!

Garlick Richards Taylor Earl Orchard Lally Schmarbeck Bateman Swindells Williams