Author Topic: Could we have managed nowadays?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could we have managed nowadays?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 September 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
As for the bread my Dad saves it as well as other bits of food and mixes it all together for the birds that he gets in his garden

Carol

I zip mine in the bender for breadcrumbs and freeze them ready for any recipe that uses them - like the Christmas puddings I must make quite soon... (but that's another thread)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 September 06 17:34 BST (UK) »
What an interesting topic!

At 40 I still consider myself as one of the young ones but I was brought up by parents and grandparents who lived thrifty lives saving, reusing etc and so that is the way I have always lived. 

Yes I turn shampoo bottles upside down to get the last drop, yes I put water in the washing up liquid to get the last drops oh and the cloth I use for cleaning the inside of my windscreen is an old pair of trousers that really could go no further.   ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Unlike a friend of mine who throws away clothes when a button falls off  :o :o :o I even know how to sew on buttons!!

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 September 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
What about the "poor man's washer" as we used to call it - the bath!

I rmember our daughter moaning about having to bring her washing to ours everyday (or should that have beenus moaning at her lol) I aske dif she had a bath in her flat to which she answered yes. So why not use that then i asked

"What!!!!!  :o  Are you crazy? ? ? I can't do washing in the bath!!!!" It might have been easier to ask her to rob the local banks one after another. I might have got a better response

I remember when we were first posted to Germany and I didn't have a washer. I was 8 months pregnant and had a 1 year old as well. Had to do all the washing in the bath and dry them on a clothes horse. Best part was having to hubby's combat uniform and sqeezing the water out using the hand rails on the bath. They weighed an absolute ton when dry never mind when wet!

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 September 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
The bottom of the washing up liquid?  Doesn't everyone fill the water and then squeeze the bottle to get some water in, shake it and then use it in the water? I do that with shampoo, bottles of bleach etc. They are totally empty before they see the inside of my bun lol

Carol

So glad it's not just me that does this - it's sooo satisfying to get the last of it out!! ;D

subee x

I do this too  :)
See the Surnames I am researching on the surname interest table