Author Topic: Carping  (Read 712 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Carping
« on: Thursday 14 September 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
 >:( I'm complaining again - nothing new there.  And I'm not carping about anyone on Rootschat.  But I find now that when I contact someone who reckons to have genealogical information, they always assume that they're talking to a complete novice and give me a lecture on how to use sources etc.  That might have been appropriate once, but there are more and more of us who have some experience and knowledge.  And we feel patronised.  Okay, I'm grateful for the information if I get it, but we all ought to be a bit more careful about the assumptions we make.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Carping
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 06 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hallo, Suttontrust

If a contact starts off with wrong assumptions it can be difficult to correct them without causing friction.  Obviously it would be better all round to get things off to a good start.  Maybe when you contact someone you could begin by briefly giving your  credentials - how much research you have already done and where the gap is.  This would show that you know what you are doing.

I admit this advice is a case of "do as I say, not as I do" - I am guilty of making assumptions both as seeker and provider and I am still learning from my (many!) mistakes.

Good luck
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 06 14:40 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean Suttontrust as I think sometimes I am  guilty of this.  I mean no offense as I'm just trying to be helpfull and I do try and put some feelers out first.

If someone hadn't pointed out the now obvious to me, such as LDS, I would have been forever in the dark - I thought he was trying to convert me at first  :-[

I know you aren't commenting on RC but I do think the star system can be very mis-leading - I earnt mine from asking hundreds of questions, not by giving hundreds of people advice  ::) ???
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 06 15:25 BST (UK) »
This is something which bugs me a little too from a different slant. 

I put my surname interests on my local family history society website which I was thought was because I was looking but I have had 3 emails from people who obviously think I am expert with all the information on those surnames.  Some of the questions I get asked ::) ::) ::)  It's like the stars, just because I put a certain surname on the website doesn't mean I have loads of info on it, just like yes I have over 3000 stars but I'm not an expert. 

I asked a daft question only this week that I didn't know ::) ::) but an expert would!

Kerry

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....